Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

YES to GOD study: Chs. 10 & 11

WELCOME!

I am thrilled you showed up for our discussion of what God is doing in our lives through our friend Lysa TerKeurst's book, "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith"

If this is your first visit and have no idea what I'm talking about, let me clue ya in. Every Tuesday a variety of God seeking women meet here and discuss the chapters of the week and what struck us the most. Then they post further on their blog and we visit them. You'll find yourself going to Missouri, Canada and even Australia. It has been awesome getting to know these women and hearing about God's greatness in their lives. So if you'd like to join us, get the book and join at anytime! Let's get started...


Chapter 10: Roadblocks and Reassurances

*Remember anything in blue is a quote from the book.

WOW!!! When Lysa shared the story of her neighbor and the driveway I was in awe. Awe of what God would ask her to do and also with Lysa's response to His request. I would only hope I would react the same way.

I remember as a high school student my aunt had a neighbor who was just down right nasty. At the time I was not walking with God so I found my aunt's response to be funny. Looking back at it though I think what a waste of time and energy but above all else, how unpleasing to God. My aunt took the time to paint the side of her privacy fence that faced her neighbor's yard an obnoxious display of neon paint. My aunt is not a Christian so she doesn't grieve over the loss of opportunity on the Lord's behalf, but how I wish my response would've been different. If my aunt and Lysa's neighbor lived side by side how exhausted the two of them would be!

As I got out of my car and started toward her, I had to will my feet to walk this obedience path. But then as my arm reached to give her the water, the heaviness lifted...

The part that struck me about that was "I had to will my feet to walk this obedience path". How hard that must've been for Lysa, but how awesome that she loved the Lord more than herself. She laid her pride down and CHOSE to obey the God she loves.

Now I realize that for that season of my life, my assignment from God was to learn to love my enemy.

Did you hear that? Season of her life. 4 months ago my little grandgirl just slept and pooped. Now she laughs, she "talks", she recognizes, she gets excited; she is in a different season of her little precious life. When I am with Amiyah, I don't try to teach her to walk. That lesson will come in about 6 months when she is ready.

I believe that when God wants to teach us something He really looks at what season of life we're in. God had a specific lesson for Lysa to learn at that point in her life. He knew she was spiritually mature to receive the lesson and she passed with flying colors. He knew that driveway was going to be built on the neighbor's property and He also knew how spiteful the neighbor was, but He allowed it all to happen because Lysa needed to be taught something so she could turn around and teach us. I know I need this lesson right now in more than one way.

This next question Lysa posed to her readers was a real thump on the head for me. What enemy do you need to love at this moment? Maybe it's a neighbor, a prodigal child, an angry spouse, or an unforgiving friend?


My answer was prodigal child of course. Right now I just need to love my daughter Alyssa like crazy right where she is at. She needs to see God in me. She needs to know that although I don't like the choices she has made I still love her. She needs to know when I'm coming toward her I'm going to give her a hug and not wring her neck like the flesh in me wants to. Bottom line is that I just need to love her.


The end of the chapter I loved these points of truth:

*God loves me to much to leave me the way I am~thank you Jesus!
*Whatever circumstance I face I grow by embracing God's plan, not changing my dilemma.
*We will have hard times.
*Say yes to God NOW, to whatever He brings my way.
*The hard place I'm in is not a distraction, but rather God's way.
*Keep focused on God, not my problem(s).


CHAPTER 11: God will make a way


Okay, that Lysa could see God through a bloody nose in a court room was awesome! Great reminder that only through the blood shed of Jesus can our lives be part of something so much greater than our minds are allowed to imagine.


I really loved the part of this chapter titled "The Pain Has Purpose". How often when things happen do I pray for God to remove it from my life. Lysa clearly shows us that Yes, we will suffer in this life. What??? When I became a Christian that doesn't mean that life will be perfect? Oh so far from it, but so worth it!

Something may be causing you to suffer right now, but the pain has a purpose, and you aren't alone. Jesus is right there with you to comfort you in a way only He can, for He knows what real suffering is like.


This morning in my Bible study that I'm doing I read Revelation 3. These verses reminded me so much of the example of obedience that the Lysa and Art chose to have. Verse 8: I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and not denied my name.
Verse 10: Since you have kept my command to endure patiently...

I think when we face a trial we have a choice to make. God's way or my destructive way? I don't know if I would've taken a glass of water to my neighbor like Lysa did or a hose and drenched her with water. They endured their neighbor patiently and they kept His word and NEVER denied His name. And you know what? God took notice. Just like He did with the church of Philadelphia that John writes about in the book of Revelation our God noticed the TerKeurst's and their heartfelt desire that no matter what this angry neighbor did next it was Him that would be honored with their actions and words. Him. Not Art and Lysa, but God. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! To God be the glory in whatever you face today dear sisters!


Okay, you know the drill. Share with us what God spoke to you and if you have more to say on your own wonderful blog then sign up under Mr. Linky below.


Love you,

*Next Tuesday...read chapters 12 & 13!


13 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Great insight Lelia-I love seeing what others gleam from the chapters. Thanks for hosting this!! Have you decided on the next book? thinking ahead...that's just me.

Love ya!

In His Graces~Pamela

Jill Beran said...

Thanks for sharing once again and I agree Lysa brings many great truths to light!! Wow!! Your words about her learning a lesson in order to teach us are quite powerful too, if we'd only look at all of our struggles with that perspective.

I agree with Pamela, any thoughts on what comes next?

Blessings, Jill

Unknown said...

I too loved that she said keep focused on God. How quickly we take our eyes off Him and mess things up.

Your insights are always so good and I learn from them. Thanks for sharing your heart every week.

Laura said...

AS always, Lelia, I love to read your heart! After I read your posts, I always want to go back and re-read! thanks for your sweet insight! I'd still love to do Lysa Whittle's book next. Let me know if you still do too!
luv ya!
Laura

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Lelia!
I'm giggling because ALREADY others are asking what I've been thinking... "So what are we going to do NEXT?" HEEHAOAOAO Guess none of us wants this to ever end. LOL

I started tonight by giving a cup of water to .... someone who is DIFFICULT in my life. Only instead of water... it is a very large slice of apple pie. I journaled these things in my private journal and prayerfully will wait and WATCH for answers. God's will be done.

SAYING YES TO GOD,
Lea

Anonymous said...

You always have such good insight.
I loved these two chapters. Probably because I need to learn so much to extend that cup myself.

Luanne

amy & lisa said...

Just loving this study. It's so real. Why does it seem like it was written just for me?? Humm...
Thank you for sharing so much. It's really neat to read everyone's thought's on the chapters.
Lisa

Amy said...

"Something may be causing you to suffer right now, but the pain has a purpose, and you aren't alone. Jesus is right there with you to comfort you in a way only He can, for He knows what real suffering is like."~

I really loved this statement!
I am dealing with some unexpected issues since my back surgery that have been a little unsettling to me. Just last night I told Shannon,
"I want to be 'normal' again."
I'm so tired of feeling bad and being physically down, that I haven't looked at God as much as I have my "problem."
But I am trying to fix it. I have been kept away in this house for so long now, and before that I was gone 23 days on my Mediterranean trip. I have literally been away from everything and everyone for so long now (since May 17 to be exact).
My sweet blogging friend, Elaine, posted the other day about a book called, "Anonymous~ Jesus' Hidden Years And Yours." And it says that when God pulls you away from all of the normal things in your life, and you feel almost invisible to everyone, that is called a "hidden season." I loved having a name to put on what I feel like I am going through.
Anyway, the book points out that our times spent in a "hidden season," are very important for us and our relationship with God. Our "hidden seasons" have purpose, and they are not to be rushed. The author gives the example of Jesus. God kept him hidden for 30 years before He released him for ministry. Another example she gives his an unborn baby in the womb. It stays hidden for 9 months, and you don't want the baby to come any sooner, because it is not ready.
I am starting to read the book now, so I am very excited to see what God reveals to me.
I am also looking forward to what I emerge as from my hidden season.
I told my husband, I hope I will be something beautiful, like the butterfly when it emerges from its cocoon.:)

I am enjoying reading and learning so much about God and myself from your posts and all of the ladies who are participating in this study.

You are such a blessing to so many!

Much love,
Amy:)

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Lelia!
Great post, my friend! I loved the insight that you shared --especailly the neon colored fence! What a wonderful visual. I think that learning to love my enemy is one of the most difficult things that Christian women are called to do. We "know" that it's the right thing, but to do it and be honest about it, it's one of the hardest things to truly,truly do!

Love ya!!
Susan

Unknown said...

These chapters were amazing! In fact, I enjoyed these chapters more than any other in this book (not that the other chapters weren't great, but these two spoke to my heart in a special way). I, too, need to extend grace. I've got a few people rubbing me the wrong way. My pastor once said that that sometimes God gives us people who are our "heavenly sandpaper" so that we can be shaped and molded when they rub against us. Isn't that awesome?

Love you guys! And I'm joining the bandwagon for the next study...what will it be Lelia!?!?! :) No pressure though! Love you!

Rebecca

Susan said...

Leila,

I'm really enjoying this study through your eyes and experiences. Thanks for sharing all of this with us.

Blessings my friend♥

Michelle said...

This study is so timely. I posted some of my thoughts tonight. I enjoyed reading your perspective and look forward to catching up on reading others.

Thanks for your kind words on my last post. Blessings!

Yolanda said...

I love how the Lord woo's me! I have been "pressing" several women in my life to memorize scripture. On Monday a friend called me challenging me to this weeks scripture for she and I to memorize. Are you ready for this...she is NOT in this study with us, she has NO IDEA that I am doing this study. But I took the challenge, wrote up the scripture onto my note card and took off for the orthodontist. HOSEA 10:12! I memorized it yesterday, and just now I read Chapter 10 and my feet did a jig!

That is so like God! He has something here for me, since it's repeated in my life this week, twice already and it's only Thursday!

I loved how God brought the rain to fill the pond, simply by coming to the point of obedience and doing what was RIGHT.

Girlfriends, let's stay in the word, continue to be challenged, and apply what we are learning. I'm so hungry to do so in my very own life.

Lovingly,
Yolanda