Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

YES to GOD study: CH. 3~Fashioned for Faith---Not Fear

WELCOME to

So glad you have stopped by to discuss the current book we are discussing here on YES to GOD Tuesdays. We will get to that in a second.



I want to thank you all for your prayers over my husband Gene and our family yesterday as he was on the operating table for 6 long hours for his 2nd back surgery in a year. I had mentioned that both the doctor and nurses told me he was singing in the recovery room to his nurse. I found out what he was singing and the surgeon told Gene yesterday on a post-op visit "don't be embarrassed, you sounded good."



When I posted an update yesterday I wrote that I had hoped it was worship music my husband was belting out. Apparently, intravenous drugs brings out the Danny Zuko tucked away inside of him instead of gospel singer Marvin Sapp. Not sure who Danny Z is? Let me help ya.


Danny was a character played by John Travolta in the movie Grease over 20 years ago. Danny loved wholesome school girl Aussie, Sandy Olsson who was played by Olivia Newton-John.
Danny and Sandy both attended Rydell High and soon became the school's hottest couple. When this movie is on TV, Gene forgets about ESPN and goes from being my quiet husband to the ever-so-cool greaser and leader of the T-Birds, Danny Zuko. He not only knows each song in the movie word for word, he has every characters lines memorized.

It's rather annoying to watch it with him.


Recently he confessed, "I always wanted to be Danny Zuko".
Hmmm.
I knew I had no room to judge his desires because I wanted to be Sandy during my teen years. I can remember that my Grandma told me that if I stopped biting my nails she would make me the outfit Sandy wore in the movie. Not the nice school girl outfits, but the one she wore after she conformed to a bad girl at the end of the movie. Being a young lady attending a private Christian school, I just wonder where my parents would have let me wear this if I let my nails grow... Knowing my Dad would never let me wear this I kept biting.





Anyway, yesterday in the recovery room instead of filling his nurse's ears with worship and praise of the Almighty One, Gene sang his nurse the song Sandy. This would be the song Danny sang when Sandy broke his heart at the drive-in movies. Oh, take a listen...














So my husband finally got to be Danny Zuko. Granted he made his debut after being sedated for a third of the day and he doesn't remember his performance, but I'm sure it will be one the nurse will never forget.



Okay...let's get to it. Chapter 3 of this incredible book penned by Micca Campbell of Proverbs 31 Ministries.



CHAPTER 3: FASHIONED FOR FAITH---NOT FEAR

Anything in blue is a quote from the book.



The subtitles in this chapter were perfectly titled as Micca walks us through pages 41-59:


Under God's Sheltering Wing


Casting Your Cares


Who's In Control?


He's Got the Whole World in His Hands


Genuine Faith


Live Like You Believe


and


Living Aware of His Presence


I'm going to share one thing from each section that really hit me.


Under God's Sheltering Wing:
Living in the presence of God doesn't mean we will not encounter storms. It means that whether God provides a job or simply the strength to endure, we have a place to run and find rest in His sanctuary until the storm has passed.



Storms in my life:
Our teenage daughter pregnant twice in one year.
Same teenage daughter getting beat up by the guy who keeps impregnating her.
Gene having two back surgeries twice in one year.
Jobs being let go all around my husband at Pfizer and wondering if his job is next to be cut.



When I choose to try to handle these things my way, I do so under the imperfect sheltering wing of the world and I get drenched in frustration, fear and anger. When I make the choice to run to God and trust Him completely and rest in His perfect sheltering wing then I am kept dry as God wraps me in peace.





Who's In Control?
As my faith grew, it became easier for me to trust God with my fears.
Amen! This year it was easier to trust God as my husband was being wheeled to the operating room.





He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
Too often I forget the wonder of God even though all of creation declares His glory. I need to remind myself daily of His greatness. In doing so, all my fears tend to fade in the light of His presence.

I agree with Micca that I need to remind myself daily of His greatness. Where I live in Nebraska I don't wake up to majestic mountains, sandy shores or fields of green. We have flat land, lakes we are banned from swimming in and fields of corn and cows. But I am still surrounded by God's beautiful creation that I take for granted, such as a 14 year old, 6'1" handsome young man named Aaron who tries hard to do his best at everything in his life. I drive to the store listening to the sound of 7 year old beauty, Alivia singing her heart out to worship music she wants played. I work everyday with my gorgeous 19 year old daughter Alyssa who looks her best when she is holding her baby in her arms. And there is nothing more breath taking than gazing at my 1 year old granddaughter Amiyah when she sleeps. When I'm in God's Word then that is when I see the beauty of His creation that He has placed around me and find myself with a grateful heart instead of a heart of an overwhelmed mom and grandma.


Genuine Faith
Faith comes from knowing God. The more I know Him, the more my faith grows and the easier it is to trust the Lord with my cares.


Live Like You Believe
Worrying instead of handling our anxieties over to God says that we believe He is powerless to deliver us from whatever concerns us most.
Yesterday Gene's surgery just flew by for me because I wasn't in the waiting room worried. I felt a great peace because I had chosen to give all my anxiety to God. This book's timing in my life is just incredible. It has been a great source for me to learn how to really give God my fears. Days before Gene's surgery I would just break down in the middle of doing something with the thought of losing him during surgery. Instantly though from what I learned so far in this book I was able to trust God completely.


Living Aware of His Presence
We find support in God's presence when we cast our cares on Him. No worry is too big for our Father to shoulder. Because of His great love for us, He gladly takes away our fears and quiets our hearts with peace.
I loved when Micca wrote I often take for granted the awesome privilege of being God's child.


OH, I bet I grieve God's heart when I act like I'm an orphan forgetting that my Father is just Micca described Him...bigger and more wonderful than my mind can comprehend. The unused portions of power within children of God must be great in numbers. If only we would tap into His greatness on a daily basis instead of when tragedy hits us and allow Him to take all of our fears for us from the small things like finances to the huge things like death of a loved one.


Trusting God everyday can be hard, but everytime we do, He is faithful.

A few weeks ago our youth pastor and his wife decided to accept a ministry position on the West Coast. Moving a family of 4 across the US of A can be very scary and yet they said yes to the job they felt was from God. Still the question if they were doing the right thing and if it was really from God crossed their minds. They kept moving forward in faith though and put their beautiful home on the market...for sale by owner. In Lincoln, ususally the For sale by Owner homes don't sell and the owners get a realtor. Within 10 minutes of putting their homemade sign out in the yard the doorbell rang. Within the hour they had sold their home and got the asking price for it! They took a job miles away that sat under God's sheltering wing. As a couple they cast their cares on God and recognized Who's in control. They trusted that He has the world in His hands, even their little corner of it. They displayed genuine faith by putting their sign in the yard and continue to live lives that say we believe and aware of His presence.


If you have something you'd like to share on your own blog about this chapter then sign up under Mr. Linky below. Have a great week.

Next Tuesday chapter 4~The Pressure's On.

~Many Blessings~







18 comments:

Kelly L said...

I love your icebreaker before Bible Study. Funny I wanted to be Rizzo when the movie came out..I used to sing "there are worst things I could do" being in the 7th grade I didn't quite get it.. I am looking forward to studying your Bible study..Currently I am in a study with Kay Warren's book 'Dangerous Surrender'..Isn't it amazing how when we say yes to God how blessed we become... God bless

Alyce said...

oh how I love Grease! My husband took me to see the musical one year for my bday...he doesn't love it like your hubby though.. But he was patient..
Thanks for stopping by the blog..you can't go wrong w/ Farmers Pork Chops!

Paula V said...

There were so many of her words to quote...great stuff. I like how you picked one from each subtitled. I couldn't do that. I didn't as told from my longest post ever but after three-four reads, I still couldn't cut anything. Might not get many readers but that's okay.

I love how you put each subtitle in a sentence paragraphing what your friends did by moving. That was too cool.

I better get to winding down so I get go to dream land very soon.
Luv2u,
P

Stacy said...

So glad to hear that Gene's surgery went well and that his recoverfy time was fun for some involved :). Who couldn't love the original Grease?!?

I'm running behind this week (only 1/2 way through the chapter) but loved the thoughts you had---can't wait to finish reading the chapter.

Praying that recovery time at home will go smoothly.

In Him,
Stacy

HisPrincess said...

I wanted to be Rizzo too...but I think that's because I like her song the best. And the rebels have always appealed to me...hmmm...wonder what that says about me!

Glad Gene is recovering Lelia. Hope all is well with you.

Sharon.

The Dementia Nurse said...

Hi Lelia! I am resurfacing in Blogland and am so happy to visit you today. I have missed you. Your story about Gene and all our teenage fantasies gave me a warm LOL this morning. I am a nurse and am well familiar with the odd things that surface in people's consciousness in response to anesthesia. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane. How's that nail-biting thing going these days?

StitchinByTheLake said...

I loved your story about Gene. :) I'm praying for his healing today, and for you as he goes through this process. blessings, marlene

Sharon said...

I love Grease, that was and still is a great movie!! I am happy that he is doing better, Praise God! I have been following Paula and you on this and it's great, I will have to try and get the book, when more money starts flowing in.
But between the two of you, I'm a learning :)
Have a Beautiful and Blessed Easter my friend :)

Huggggsss

Anonymous said...

Well, I know what theme party you need to have for your 40th!!! I can just see you in a blonde wig - classic! And ofcourse you'd have to do the duet with your husband - both your dreams would come true!!!

I'm thankful for your take on the study - so much food for thought...

I remember when Amiyah was born. But, it so doesn't seem like a year ago. Happy Birthday to the dear little girl... Loved the photos of her - too too cute! Can you check your email with her... I'm just about to send her an e-card for her birthday...

Blessings to you! Naomi x

Laura said...

Hey, Lelia!

I'm glad Gene is singing after surgery! That's better than some other alternatives!

I left my book at work yesterday, so was unable to get my post up on this chapter, but am agreeing with all you are writing here.

Praying for all those storms, my friend.

Sandra Garcia said...

Hi Lelia,

Am I too late to sign up for this study? I'll run out and get my book tonight and catch up if it's not too late!

Blessings,
Sandra

Yolanda said...

Ladies,

the section that spoke deeply to my heart was the one titled, "genuine faith".

Having people around me that are deep into the name it and claim it group....they are always telling both myself and my hubs that we do not have enough faith. Doubt then begins to creep in and after having done Believing God...simply that. I'm going to Believe God.

Love,
Yolanda

Shanda said...

Too cute that he was belting out, "Sandy!" I wonder if there was music in the operating room?

So glad surgery went well! Praying for a complete and quick recovery!

Heather - On the Road... said...

Ah Lelia,
I am so glad to hear that Gene is doing well... that the surgery went well. Know I am lifting you up in prayer.

I thought I was running late this week getting up my post. I just haven't had the words to put into the post. Finally when I got up this morning I was able to... it was such a good chapter! I loved it. This whole book is so good!!

And I guess I am not the only one running behind this week! I am impressed that you got your post up as quickly as you did! :)

The study at the end of the chapter really got me this week. I love both Ps. 91 and 27, both of which she used... they speak right to my heart. Micca is so gifted and I am so thankful for this book.

Love you!
Heather

Tina said...

lelia,

So happy to hear that Gene is doing well, singing after surgery!! Continued prayers for his recovery!

One thing about storms, while they draw us closer to God they also serve to encourage those who see us running to God. You are one who is resting in His arms. While we can see the storm around you we also see Him in you, calm and faithful. All of those precious girls, Alyssa, Amiyah, and Alivia are watching and learning what it is to be a godly woman, a woman of faith.

You are a blessing.

In His perfect Love,
Tina

Jeanie said...

Lelia,

Thank you so much for being the Hostess of this incredible book! It is so right on time in my life! I did the linky thing so please, stop by and read what I wrote there (at the end). Our God is so good!
I'm so happy to hear that your Hubby is doing well after surgery! I bet you will be taking good care of him! Smile!
Much Love!
Jeanie

Unknown said...

My post this week is LONG. But there was so much to pull from. There were some sections I could ahve highlighted the whole thing!

I am glad to hear Gene is recovering and so glad you gave me the privilege to pray for him. Looking forward to your wonderful insights next week as weel.

Hvae a blessed Easter. He is Risen!

Carol said...

Lelia,

First I'm lovin Gene singing Oh Sandy to the nurses, cracking me up. I could totally see you and Gene dressed up as Sandy and Danny.

I have finally posted on Ch 2 & 3. I loved your post as always you rock girlfriend. I found so much comfort and aha's in these chapters.

I hope Gene is on the mend and you and your family had a blessed EAster.