Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Teen OUT of control or God IN control?

Last week our teen mom decided she was going to move out. No car. No money. No plan beyond moving. No listening. Met with the land lord Tom last night. Signed the papers. Handed over her $650.00 for her deposit and 1st month's rent. Got the keys. She's decided for now to leave Amiyah with us. She knows she needs help.
So now what?

Proverbs 16:9
In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.



Tuesday night I knew she was really going to go through with her plan. So I decided that I was going to be as encouraging as I could be to her. You know I had to call on God's name to help me with this because the human part of me wants to scream and shout at her. Well, okay, the human part of me did do that and I think it made her more determined. So, I decided to give this to God. I was crying/praying about it on Tuesday night and I just asked God, "Please Lord, send someone to her. Put someone that is so in love with You in her path. Someone that will encourage her to draw near to You."


Last night I was at my parent's home and I told my Mom where the apartment is located. She turned and looked at me and said, "That is where the Daniell's live." She said it as if I knew these people. She went on..."You need to call Stan and Rachel because Scott and Amber are friends of theirs."



Let me just interrupt my Mom to say that NO ONE will ever convince me that we serve a "too busy for us" God. He listens intensely to our prayers. He cares about what grieves us. He wipes our tears as they fall. He pays close attention to His children.




Okay, back to my Mom...
"We met the Daniell's while working at a camp for abused kids. They sold their house in a nice neighborhood and purposely moved where God told them to. They are passionate for Jesus and target the lost around them. They do Bible studies in their home and everything."


I called my friend Rachel today.


Dear friends.
Are you sitting down?
Our God has placed my daughter not only on the same block as these people my Mom told me about, but directly across the street from them.
Did you read that????
DIRECTLY
ACROSS
THE STREET from a couple who have dedicated their lives and marriage to reaching out to those in their neighborhood.
A couple that when God told them to go to this neighborhood, they went.
A passionate-on-fire -for-Jesus couple across the street from MY girl!
GOD IS SO GOOD!!!

My daughter will be living across the street from city missionaries!

Hee hee, don't ya love the God we serve? And Alyssa thought she had plans!


I want to believe with all my heart that this child is going to turn her life around and start making good decisions. She is very hard hearted right now, but breakthrough is nothing to God. He can breakthrough the hardest of hearts.
One word: PAUL.
So see, Alyssa Chealey's choices are not making the Almighy One break out in a sweat.


As I type away smiling my girl is the one breaking out in a sweat as she is upstairs with her friends loading her bed into the back of the pickup. In 90 degree weather. She had the nerve to ask her Dad to turn the air on. So she'll be comfortable while moving out against our wishes. Oh yes, let me run to the thermostat honey child.

She thinks she is moving in alone into her little one bedroom apartment tonight.

Wrong!

She'll be watched over 24/7 and it won't be me doing the observing.

Because of my girl's decision at age 9 to invite Christ into her life He will be her invisible roommate.

He will be the One to not only see her activity, but see the emptiness in her heart. The emptiness she is trying so hard to fill with everything but Him. He sees her. He watches over her and He misses her.


Proverbs 15:3

The eyes of the LORD are everywhere (even Alyssa's apartment), keeping watch on the wicked and the good.

Recently I opened the mail to find a form Alyssa had filled out in Jr. high at the age of 13 for Campus Missionaries. They keep these forms and mail them back to the kids when they graduate from high school to encourage them in their relationship with God. This is what her and I read together last week. Some of the answers had us laughing, especially the middle one. The last question gets my heart pounding harder every time I read it.
Why do you want to be a Campus Missionary?
To see my friends in Heaven.
What is your vision/dream for your school?
These 2 boys.
Briefly give a testimony of your born-again experience:
I felt clean and holy and in His presence.
Happy.




Tonight my heart again pounded with a little more thump as I read these words in her own writing because I know God is up to something. I know it. He hasn't clued me in on what He is up to, but her moving in across the street from this family is not a coincedence. No way. All God planned. So whether it takes 10 minutes, 10 days or 10 years for my daughter to surrender again, I choose to trust in Him. To wait with Him. He has strategically placed the Daniell's in a neighborhood that HE KNEW Alyssa would be moving to on August 8, 2008. As the book of Esther tells us: For such a time is this.


My dear friend Rachel gave me Amber's # and when I called her tonight she was so excited about this move my girl has made. She said they usually take cookies to the new people in the neighborhood. Please be praying for Amber and Scott and whatever God has up His sleeve. Little will my girl know that the cookies she'll eat will be made with hands that were folded praying for her. Our God is good.



Because I have been in her shoes before, I know sooner or later she'll miss what made her happy, clean and holy and it's nothing she is chasing after right now. So plan away sweet child, plan away.


I praise You Jesus. I love and adore You. I lean on You during this heart wrenching/joyful time and I thank You that eventually I came back to what makes me clean, holy and happy. You really are everything we need!


May my life reflect one who chooses to have faith that the God she serves has got a plan of Holy Interruption coming for her Prodigal Daughter. In His timing.


On my last post, fellow sister in Christ left me a comment and this is part of her sweet, encouraging message:

Allow me to share what God says about the matter of wayward children:

Thus says the Lord:"Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears; for your work shall be rewarded", says the Lord. "And they shall come back from the land of the enemy.There is hope in your future", says the Lord, "That your children shall come back to their own border." Jeremiah 31:16,17

Thank you Karan!! Isn't that an awesome Word?

Okay, better sign off and go help clean an apartment.

~Many Blessings~

30 comments:

Paula V said...

Wow. This is awesome, Lelia. I couldn't imagine something better. This truly IS great that she is moving out. I believe whole heartedly that many times family is the least influencable when it comes to a relationship with Christ. It is so hard for siblings to listen to siblings or children to listen to parents regarding their walk with God or doing what is right. I believe they will see it as lecturing or preaching. I've often prayed for God to placed in my unsaved brother's life someone who can reach him. I always invisioned it being another male and not his baby sister.

So, this is the BEST thing ever for her. I truly can see it is GOOD that she is moving. I know it was something you dreaded and felt it was such a wrong decision but now that the Lord has given a little wider view of His picture, we can see this is going to be good, very good. They sound like the most excellent people and example that Alyssa needs.

God IS good. This too spoke volumes to me in regards to what I shared with you this morning. It tells me to continue to wait, patiently, and God will reveal a little wider view of His vision for my life and my beloved.

I'm so happy, oh so happy....I think that's a song. I wish you could hear my tune...or lack of tune.

Much love and much rejoicing.
Paula

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Lelia how your heart must have hurt even as it is now rejoicing. It is so hard when they go but unless they go they will never know what God has in store for them. They may trip on their own feet, they may stumble on their own thoughts and they may scramble away from everything we think they ought to be running toward, but God has His hand in theirs. He guides gently where we try to shove. His way is the best way, the only way. Blessings, marlene

Isabel said...

Oh my dear friend. I am so moved by your post tonight...not only to see how God is working (and has been well before this), but also because as you know Alyssa and I have more in common then I can share in a short post. I can feel her resolve as she digs in her heels and says I'm going. She feels so in charge and so grown up. She doesn't need anything from anyone...well except for a few things (funny how that happens huh?). Take heart mommy Lelia, you know why she is battling so hard and your words are fueling her fire? She feels it already...the emptiness, the longing, the chaos that satan can stir in our lives. Oh human it is to think that you can just man-handle those feelings, that we are in charge. You can already see the people and plans God is placing in her life...He knows she's got to scratch her backside on the bottom of her self-dug hole before she'll look up to Him. And He knows there are people in place that are already strining together a ladder of His Word, His Love and His earthly kingdom to help raise her up. You are so wise and loving...you know you are in for the long haul...God created time for us, not for Him, and know that all of this is just another piece to the puzzle of Alyssa's life, testimony and place in God's plan. Just think, my friend, she someday could be delivering cookies to the lost person across the street.

Smile...isn't He awesome!!

Love ya,
Wendy

HisPrincess said...

Lelia you are my hero.

I kid you not.

Your blog blesses me, encourages me, lifts me up.....I'm so very glad the Lord led me to it and to you. Thank you for allowing him to work through you.

Prayer warriors unite! Let's pray these prodigals home.

Yolanda said...

I think of how much God has prepared you for such a time as this, dear Lelia.

God wants us alone, He then we can hear and see Him. With Alyssa living in an apartment, on her own, the God we serve will be ready as she makes herself available. OOOOhhhh, I can't wait to hear how the break through comes, it will be MIGHTY no matter how large or small. Exciting, and awesome.

The scripture Karan shared is like SPOT ON!

Love ya,
Yolanda

Anonymous said...

GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!


PRAISE GOD FOR HIS FAITHFULNESS!!

GIVE IT ALL TO HIM AND LOVE HER WHEN SHE IS UNLOVEABLE AND WATCH.......

THIS IS AN AMAZING STORY--CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE REST!!

BLESSINGS TO YOU!
KIM

Jill Beran said...

It's great to see your trust and confidence - what a wonderful example for all of us. And the reminder that God is always at work in ways we can't imagine is amazing!! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to what is to come!!

Unknown said...

Praise God, Hallelujah!!! I can't wait to hear how this story unfolds. God is in control and He does know what He's doing!

I will continue to lift you guys up! By the way, does this mean you and Gene get your bedroom back?????

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Just want to give a shout out of praise to our God!! He is so awesome! I will continue to lift all of your family to the Father - in expectation of great things to come! Praise God today for His workings in our lives! I cannot tell you how excited I am and how much hope this also gives me. May we never doubt the God who gave His all for us. Let us continue to encourage each other. Thank you for sharing your journey, and may His blessings of peace and hope reign in you and your home.
In His Love and Hope,
Karan

Amy said...

Ditto to what all the other comments say....God is amazing!:)

Julie said...

Leila,
I am sending you an email with an amazing story.
It's a sermon by Louie Giglio who does the Passion conferences. But there is a story nestled into it that I think would encourage your heart.....

It's on it's way....

He's got your girl!
Hugs,
Julie

Runner Mom said...

Woohoo!! God is good! I'm singing the same tune as Paula--Sweet Pea--cause I can't carry a tune either!

I..just..love the scriptue that Karan gave you. Wow! He is so good!

I hope she enjoyed her Holy cookies!! Love that!!

Will continue to be praying for y'all.

Love you!
Susan

LynnSC said...

WOW Lelia... I was so blessed by this post. You are an amazing women of faith... in love with an amazing and faithful God. I will continue to pray for your family.

I just keep thinking about what I learned in A Women's Heart the past couple months... This is God's plan "A". He has no plan "B". He has called us to faith in His plan. Keep on keeping on girl!! I look forward to hearing more about God's awesome work.
Lynn

Michele Williams said...

God is faithful. God is in control. God will make a way when there seems to be no way! I went through some similar things with my daughter over 14 years ago... My daughter came back to the Lord and us 9 years ago... The prodical will come home. Keep praying dear sister in Christ. Prayyers have gone up...and God is listening...

Mia said...

Thank you, thank you for being so honest and open. God sees the beginning and the end!! Please pray for my daughter (10 weeks pregnant)she is having alot of pain from a large ovarian cyst (benign)There is so much pain I want to keep from her but God knows why all things happen. Thanks again for your comforting words in email recently!
Praying for you and your family
God Bless You!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

My husband and I read your post together...I asked for his remarks. He siad he is proud of you in how you are handleing it and you "tickle him"! You found humor in pain, God is in control when satan tried to tear you down. This poor child of yours doesn't have a chance!! God will prevail, if she is like me when I was her age, it will not be in mom's timing but God's. It will happen. Be tough and keep praying. WE are praying for you dear friend and I am learning from you as my day is probably coming...6 girls...ughhh!

You are such a blessing!

In His Graces~Pamela

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I forgot...how's that book coming? Maybe if you write the last chapter this all will end. I know as we were preparing our topics for camp on "living with parents" and "living in a stepfamily" it seemed as if we had to live in the worst of it. Finish that book girl!!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Hi Lee luh! :-)

(That's how it's in my head now so I can remember how to pronounce it!)

This is my first time on your blog. Wow, what a doozy! You had me laughing out loud at your excitement! It's precious to me that you see the Hand of God in what could be seen as a tragedy.

"And we know in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose." Rom. 8:28

Yeah, He's got it. :-)

Sherlyn said...

Our God is so good! I stand in awe of him daily. Keep the faith girlfriend and I'll be praying for all involved - including you!

amy & lisa said...

God truly is amazing! Everyday He continues to show us that we CAN trust Him. He is there. He loves Alyssa so much and he knows the plans He has for her.
Keep trusting.

valerie said...

Lelia,
Remember the post about my Bible that is falling apart that I love so much? I love that Bible and can always find verses in there and it has wonderful comments I've written through the years. The other day I was trying to find something in it and since Jude may be way over in the OT somewhere now....I came across Micah chapter 7 and had verse 7 underlined. "Therefore I will look unto the LORD, I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me." I have circled "I will look and I will wait."
At the top of that chapter I have written "Micah showed great faith in God as he proclaimed that he would wait upon God because God helps and saves when help is needed. We too can have a relationship with God that can allow us to have confidence like Micah's. Faith and willingness to act on that faith."
I also have written on the side "We cannot fall so deeply that He can't pull us up, when we allow Him."
You have great faith and you know to go to God's Word. He never changes and He has promised to work all things out for good. Alyssa is His child and he loves her and has great plans for her.
Keeping you all in my prayers and so thankful that the little baby has you all during this time.
Praying!
Love,
Valerie

Amy L Brooke said...

Very cool. I will keep praying.

Tammy said...

Our God is so good and faithful!

I will be praying for you and your daughter.
Lelia,your faith pushes me to dig deeper into my own faith for trusting God to touch my prodigal son.

Blessings,
Tammy

sharon brobst said...

Lelia~ First as a mom my heart breaks for you. For I know the pain and hurt that is there just below the surface all the while you are praising God for what He is in the midst of doing.

One thing I know for sure, is when we are His He will not let us go. God pursued me when I was walking in the footsteps of your daughter and God used people in ways I would have NEVER imagined. And now I continue to watch God pursue my son using people I wouldn't have even thought of!!

Our God is so awesome - He never lets a lost lamb stay lost forever...

I'll be praying...

Anonymous said...

Lelia,
I just wanted to let you know that i am praying for you and for alyssa too... and beautiful Amiyah, that she will get her mommy back... and a mommy that is walking with her Savior.
I love you and miss you...
May God bless you, as you let go, and still grieve for your daughters decisions, and as you hang on to God and His provisions.
Love you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to read this post and to learn of the Lord's provisions, particularly "the neighbours".

Lelia, you truly are a gem of a girl in the way you share and witness and glorify our God! Hugs!!! Naomi

Laurie Ann said...

I love how God provides for His children, even behind the scenes! He does stuff like this because of His great love for not only Alyssa, but for you, Leila. He's comforting you, knowing she'll be taken care of. Peace, dear friend. Yeah, I sound like a hippy, but Peace!

Tracy said...

Wow! Once again, your faithfulness humbles and challenges me. Rejoicing in the glorious orchestrations of our Lord!

With continuing prayers & love,
Tracy

Unknown said...

God is just simply fabulous. He really knows how to orchestrate the world He created. I'll keep praying for Alyssa. She'll come around, unbeknownst to her!

Stonefox said...

I happened upon your blog and this story brought tears to my eyes...because I am an overseas "worker," surrounded by lost lambs, and who knows whose baby girl or boy or sister or other lives across the street from me. And maybe I am an answer to someone's prayer.

We have just moved to this new place for ministry, and this was such an inspiring post, when I wonder how in the world I am going to get started here.