Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

YES to GOD study Chpts: 18 & 19

9/12/08 EDIT: Scroll down for the YES to GOD study FAQ's.
I'm so glad that you have come over for



I can't believe we're almost finished with this wonderful book/Bible study, "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith" written by our dear friend
Lysa TerKeurst. She is currently working on writing another blessing from above and you know as soon as it is for sale, we'll snatch it up and gather here and work our way through it. If you want to join in on the prayer team that prays over her while writing this new book email me at chealey5@windstream.net and I'll forward your address on to her assistant/friend Holly.




Next week, we'll gather here one more time for this book as we discuss chapter 20, the last chapter. This has been an amazing journey with you all and I can't wait to start up again on the 23rd. So next week, Chapter 20 then on Tuesday, September 23rd, we'll meet here and begin discussing Lisa Whittle's book, "Behind Those Eyes".

Here are some Yes to God study FAQ's:

1. ) What is Yes to God Tuesday's?
YES to GOD Tuesday's was birthed in my heart from God after I read Lysa TerKeurst's book "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God". I longed to do a Bible study in my home, but with my husband having major back surgery and our teen daughter becoming a Mom within the same week, hosting a Bible study in my basement was impossible, so God gave me this idea. The 1st study we did here was Lysa's book and if you want to read those Tuesday posts you can find then on the sidebar of this blog on the right side all the way at the bottom. It was an incredible study and the enthusiasm over what God was showing us from women all over the place was awesome. Collectively, we decided to do this current study and now God is lining up the studies He wants done.

2.) How do I get the book "Behind Those Eyes" for the next study?
~check with your local book store first & if they don't have it, see if they can order it for you.
~check on line (Amazon...)

2.) How many people can join this study?
~as many as God has in mind. There is no limit of participants, so please invite your friends to join us. One lady is going to do this with some co-workers!

3.) Do you have to have a blog to participate?
NO! You can just read every Tuesday's discussion OR you can leave your words of wisdom by commenting under the anonymous button. My Mom is not a blogger, but she leaves comments.

4.) What do I need to do?
~Pray. Pray that God shows you what He wants you to learn in this study then meet here every Tuesday. Also pray for each other.
~Buy your book & read CHAPTER 1 & the Bible study in the back of the book for that chapter and be ready to join in on the discussion of it by Tuesday September 23rd.

5.) How can I let others know about Yes to God Tuesdays on my blog?

~On my sidebar there is a Yes to God button that you can right click on and add to your own sidebar. You would go under 'Layout' then add it to the sidebar under 'Add Picture'. If you want to link it to my blog then you'd put my URL in the URL blank http://www.leliachealey.blogspot.com/ That directs them here.



Ladies, anymore questions, let me know. I'm so excited about this and the author, Lisa is going to be involved with us and can't wait to see where God is going to take us on this journey. I encourage you to visit her and you can do so by clicking on her book cover in the top right hand corner of this blog. Know you are being prayed over. We have sisters from all over the US of A joining us and even sisters of Christ in Australia too. So, believe that God is up to something and together let's get curious enough to find out what it is! I don't believe that He just brings so many women from so many walks of life from so many different locations to one place just for the fun of it. Nope, He has something up His Holy sleeve here....Let's. Get. Curious!



Okay....on to our awesome current study. Remember, anything in blue is a quote from the book.


CHAPTER 18: A Promise Made is a Promise Kept

We live in a fallen world, where people's circumstances belie what God meant for His people to be and become.

I wonder how many of us never experience what God has for us because we get so caught up and focused on what is before us instead of staying completely fixed on Him. If I had followed God's plan for my life to the exact...what would I be today? Where would I live? What would my life look like right now? I have no idea, but I know that today I choose to not wonder about what I could be or have, but instead keep seeking Him in my present. I don't believe it's ever too late to get in line for God's best designed specifically for you.

I received one of my most precious assignments in the middle of the night. I woke up with tears streaming down my face. At first I was confused and asked the Lord why I was crying.

I loved the story Lysa shared of Sergei. Lysa's obedience to her role in his life may not have matched up to her ideas of what it should be, but how powerful to know that God let Lysa shed the tears of an orphan so that Sergei was able to lie down with dry cheeks that night. How precious and what a picture of the One that catches our tears in a bottle.

He isn't looking for people to dance in the limelight.

Ministry that makes the biggest impact is that which is done in the secret places, the hard stuff that is void of glory but full of guts.

A few years ago a high school friend, Glen moved his wife and 4 kids to India for a mission from God. A young, promising lawyer he sold his house, his SAAB and resigned from his position to take on the task as the lawyer representing young girls rescued from a life of a sex slave. First Glen and his crew go on secret missions and rescue the young girls then they go to court. A life far removed from driving up in a luxury car to the Starbucks window. A life void of glory from fellow lawyers for a life filled with glory for God. A life done in much secrecy for Kingdom gain. A life full of guts.

He may not resurrect all of the circumstances in your life, but He will resurrect a deeper and more secure trust of Him if you will let Him.

This was the last sentence of a chapter encouraging us to keep seeking God even when this resurrection phase of our faith walk is not what we expected. This author is living out what she writes friends. Let's listen to her wise words and keep seeking Him when our circumstances are tough.


CHAPTER 19: God Brings Dreams to Life


Regardless of where you are today, God is with you. God is wooing you. God wants you to experience Him. Whatever you are going through today, you can find His joy and peace.

April 3, 2008 my husband Gene underwent a 6 hour surgery on his back. September 17th we go to Omaha to meet with his surgeon. The doctor called Gene at home the other night responding to my husband's complaint of intense pain. We will find out if Gene's fusion of the lower back worked or not. Doc is leaning toward Gene being one of the 45% that it doesn't work on the first time. That would mean another surgery, going on long-term disability which only pays 60% of his pay and his job going on the market. Looks like a horrible situation the Chealey's are facing. So do we look at each other, throw our hands up and cry our eyes out or do we believe Lysa's statement of truth above and believe that God is in control here. As a couple, we choose the latter. We have to. If we don't, we will be shorting God the opportunity to shine. Gene Chealey, let's experience God together in this part of our faith walk and let God's greatness shine bright.


I really loved how Lysa ended this chapter:

The important thing is not what you do for God, but rather that you come to know and believe Him along the way.

AMEN SISTA, AMEN!


Listen to this challenge she gave us in the Bible study of this chapter in #2 when she said: Talk to your kids and your loved ones about God. Make His name famous in your home.

Let's take that challenge and apply it to all areas of our life.

May how we choose to live life make God famous!

Okay friends...leave a comment of what God showed you in these chapters and if you have more to say on your own blog about these two chapters then sign up under Mr. Linky. God bless you and see you next week for the finale of this great guide for living a life of faith.

Don't forget to get your copy of Lisa Whittle's book, "Behind Those Eyes" and invite a friend to join us. Friday I will have an official sign up for those doing the study so check back so you can get to know you're fellow sisters on this next journey before we begin on Tuesday, September 23rd.

~Many Blessings~






12 comments:

Unknown said...

While I did not include this on my blog post one other quote from Lysa that struck me "We must learn to long for the one who holds our eternity and let His song be the driving force in our heart." Boy if we haven't learned that and walked that out during this study!

I'll be praying for this new challenge your family faces. Know that Alyssa is always in my prayers! I pray she let's God's song driver her heart soon. I know her mom already does!!

Michelle said...

Glad to be back, actively participating. You are in my prayers my friend. Look forward to the next study also.

Anonymous said...

Mornin' Lelia! It was great reading your last 3 posts this morning. So many many beautiful phrases from this last post I want to embed in my head. I will do a re-read tonight before bed and make some more notes. I hope and pray for you guys that on the 17th you hear of a miracle, and that your husband's back pain will cease. Bless your beautiful heart and have a wonderful day. With love, Naomi

Runner Mom said...

Hey! About your comment on my blog...that's why I'll never be a writer! I write just like that... just like I talk! You made me laugh!!

I'll be praying for Gene and all of y'all too! I have seen God's perect grace and healing on a friend with similar back problems. God, the great physician, is just awesome!

Love ya!!
Susan

Jill Beran said...

Lelia, what a great post and honestly what wonderful chapters, I feel like I have been living this book as I read it. Great to see what God has done in and thru Lysa and amazing to think the same is true for the rest of us!

june said...

I am going to try to sign up with
Mr. Linky...I have tried before and just did not know how..All this modern things are too much for us older ladies.

I want to join the Bible Study.
I got my book today

valerie said...

Lelia,
It was so good to see your comment on my blog today!
I'm praying and believing that Gene's back will be healed. Nothing is too hard for our God.
Your faith is incredible and you are an amazing woman. And yes....
we will definitely still be blogging years from now! I sure hope so anyway.
Love you and keep you in my prayers everyday.
Valerie

amy & lisa said...

This study has just been amazing. Thank you so much for hosting. I've learned lots and will continue "growing" in Him. Will keep your family in my prayers.
Lisa

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Lelia-I will be praying for you and for Gene's healing. God will take care of you both. You know that. Love you!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Amy said...

~He isn't looking for people to dance in the limelight.
Ministry that makes the biggest impact is that which is done in the secret places, the hard stuff that is void of glory but full of guts. ~

This is the statement that struck me the most. I left this comment on Mari's blog, but I thought that I would share it with you as well.


Shannon and I taught kindergarten Sunday school for a year at our church, and it is definitely not a glory filled position at first glance.

Shannon had a particularly hard time with a certain little boy each Sunday....especially during the Bible story time, which is what Shannon was in charge of each week. Anyway, every Sunday, this little boy caused some sort of disruption during story time....And this one Sunday in particular, he really acted up. (He was a very sweet boy, but he just had such a difficult little childhood...His grandmother had to take over raising him and his siblings). So that Sunday when the grandmother came to pick him up, Shannon was just emotionally worn out from dealing with him, but the little boy ran to greet his grandmother and dragged her over to Shannon and said in his little 5 year old voice, "Mr. Shannon is who teaches me about Jesus."

Sigh......

That was when Shannon first realized that it was definitely a glory filled job, amen?:)

I will pray for your husband and his back, Lelia. I know that we had completely different procedures, but I know all too well the frustration of it not going "as planned." (Or as we planned I should say.) I am so sorry for the physical, emotional, and financial challenges ahead, but I know that God will be with you both each and every step of the way....He never wastes our pain. And with you having this Bible study blog, He must be getting ready to show Himself mighty, amen? I'll be praying for you.

God Bless,
Amy:)

Laura said...

Hi, Lelia! I think these two chapters have been my favorite so far. Tuesdays are crazy for me now that school is back in and lessons have started up. I literally leave home at 7am and don't get back until 10:30 or 11. Sigh. So my posts are short. Hopefully, I'll figure this schedule out soon!
Blessings to you today!

Paula said...

Yah! I have my book and I've already been enlightened. I will continue to read chapter one and do the study in preparation for the 23rd. The book looks great so far and I can't wait to get into the nitty gritty of it. It will certainly be a blessing to be involved with the study with so many other women. Love P :-)