Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

YES to GOD Tuesdays chapter 2

HELLO!


Welcome to chapter 2 of the YES to GOD study! Want to join? Get the book "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith" by Lysa TerKeurst and join in the discussion! Join anytime. Lysa's writes for the "busy women" so catching up where we are is never a problem. We'd love to have you and don't forget to invite a friend for this amazing study!


Chapter 2: A Line in the Sand
*Anything in blue is a quote from the book.


To honor God COMPLETELY, you need enough faith to leave with Him.
Leave the attitude, leave the stubborn pride, leave the right to be right, leave the control, and biggest of all, leave the unbelief.



Okay, the first sentence of this chapter and Miss Lysa is already stepping on my toes. Leave the control? But I want to be in the drivers seat! After all, I am the one who writes down what every one's schedule is for the week on our family calendar. Stubborn pride? I wouldn't say I have stubborn pride, but c'mon there are things I want done my way. Unbelief? It's not that I don't believe God can handle things, sometimes He's just not quick enough.



Uggh! Ugly huh? I think what this sweet author is trying to tell us that if we are going to follow Jesus and completely give our lives to Him then there are things in our life that we are going to have to give up. Leave behind.



I'm very visual so the whole page she wrote on the rear view mirror was good for me. Looking behind you and ahead of you at the same time is impossible. So, we don't have eyes in the back of our heads?


Lysa walks us through God's history of when He summoned people to follow Him and every single person was required to leave the old behind. Habits, jobs, lifestyles and they did it. On page 22 we are told that We must leave our past behind, draw a line in the sand, and determine to proceed forward with God.




When she reminds us of Noah, Jeremiah and the disciples the one thing I saw that was a common phrase was "Because of their obedience". I want that said about me, don't you? When the angels above are hanging out at the foot of the throne, if my name comes up, I want the conversation to start with "Because of Lelia's obedience look what You did with her life Lord" instead of "Because of Lelia's disobedience, look at what her family missed out on." Leaving the past behind me is a must if I want to live a life of faith.




Experiencing life change is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice, choosing God's ways instead of your own.



When my husband Gene came to Nebraska 20 some years ago from Orlando he came on a full football scholarship. He hasn't put on a Husker jersey in years. Can you imagine if every morning he got up to go to work he put on his shoulder pads and that red Husker jersey with the #31 on it then topped it off with putting his helmet on top of that bald head of his?





The problem was that mentally that is what he was doing. See, he had been injured early on and wasn't the big athletic star he thought he was coming to Lincoln to be. He was highly recruited but was never able to show off his abilities due to a career ending injury. For years and I mean years ladies Gene hated if it was brought up that He was a former Husker.




Football is huge here and names are known for many years. His name as a Husker was never recognized so he would be embarrassed because he'd have to associate his time on the field with names they'd recognize. I finally told him that God never intended for Gene Chealey to be this huge Husker Hall of Famer and that God had used football to get him to Nebraska.




Once Gene realized this truth he was able to leave his past behind him. Now he uses the fact that he was a Husker to talk about Jesus, but until Gene let go of his past and the fact it didn't go as he had planned, to God he was unusable. Since leaving his past behind him and moving forward with God, Gene has become a youth leader in our church and talks of how God used football to get him to a new place and then took his dreams away from him. When Gene made the choice to choose God's way instead of his own God gave him new beginnings and new dreams...it's a beautiful thing.



Friends, let's ask God what He wants us to leave behind and draw the line in the sand separating the past from the new and let's just go! Let's move forward with God and not look back! Oh, how exciting!


You must go here to read this real life faith story lived out by my new friend Jenny in Minneapolis. It is so awesome to see what God did all because she believed He could!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this chapter. In the comment section below please leave the answer to this question: What might you need to leave behind?




If you have more to say on your blog, please sign up below with Mr. Linky. Also, please participate in the poll on the sidebar concerning this study.



OH and I know how you love contests and I found this great one by Nancy from Olive Leaf Ministries. She is giving away...



Did you really think I'd tell you here? Click here to find out what Nancy is giving. If she gets 50 people she'll give 2 away. Hurry...contest ends this Friday!!!



Don't forget to visit Jenny & Nancy after you leave your comment!


~Many Blessings~


Lelia








20 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the post! I'll be back in just a few to leave a couple of comments! :)

Rebecca

Unknown said...

I'm back!

Yes, my toes were stepped on, too! OUCH!

Pride. Stubborness. My way. Yeah, those are some of the things I need to give up, too. Life is too short to be selfish. Because if I'm focused on self, I'm not focused on God. And my friend, that is just not a good thing!

I really liked Gene's story about God bringing to him to a new place and taking away old dreams. I bet God gave him a new set of dreams, didn't He?

As always, Lelia, you have given us a great story to go along with the chapter. Thanks again for leading this!

Rebecca

Micca said...

Lelia,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words about my talk at She Speaks!

I love that you're leading Lysa's bible study on your blog!! What a cool idea!

My book entitled, An Untroubled Heart, will be out Feb '09. It also includes a bible study. I'd love to send you a copy for consideration of doing the same thing!
I know as women we have lots of fear that faith in God can set us free from! You can help do that!

blessings,
Micca

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Lelia-we have drawn that line in the sand of our life and I am thankful to have you there to support me as I walk forward. Thank you!!

In His Graces~Pamela

LynnSC said...

Hi Lelia,
I found so much in this chapter that spoke volumes to me. I had to just choose a COUPLE to post about on my blog... otherwise my post would have gone on for days.

Jump over and see what I really needed from this chapter.
Lynn

Leaon Mary said...

I am trying to be PATIENT in waiting..... -- meanwhile... I will keep reading your thoughts and comments of others. ;)
Postman postman don't be slow...
d-liver my -d-votional
go man goooooooooooooo
Lea
<*)))><

Laura said...

I love Gene's testimony, Lelia. Isn't it amazing what God can do with the parts of our lives we think are worthless? Blessings...

Paula V said...

Lelia,
I'm trying to recoup with the whole traveling for the computer, getting behind on computer stuff, work, reading etc.

I did my reading a few days ago so these thoughts may be jumbled. I won't have time to post on my blog either.

There was so much in the chapter but it stuck so poignantly when she said we can't look behind us and ahead of us at the same time. Not a new concept but just the phrasing of it drove home we can't expect to travel forward in our journey with God if we are always looking back.

How encouraging when she said we are closer than we think to the faith we've always wanted.

I loved the verses in Isaiah 43:16-19. One of my favorite songs talks about God making a way where there seems to be no way. I was so delighted to see this in scripture. I had never come across it. Roadway in the wildnerness and river in the desert. Amen. That is exactly what He does.

I also loved Gene's testimony and what God did in his heart.
Love,
Paula

HisPrincess said...

There is so much I need to leave behind. Unlike you, I have moments of unbelief. I want to be rid of it but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for your thoughts Lelia.

PS. PLEASE don't tell my children that I don't have eyes in the back of my head! I have them convinced!

Jill Beran said...

Lelia,
Thanks again for doing this, it is wonderful to hear other's stories and be encouraged by God's work in their lives and always good to know we are not alone!!

I agree as to the power in this chapter, Lysa has a way with words! I know God is calling me to leave my fear of what others think behind. It's been a way of life and as they say old habits die hard!! The biggest thing for me is my family sensing I have changed in the last 10 years (since I became a Christian) but not understanding why. It is difficult at times feeling like the odd duck but our pastor reminded me in his latest sermon our faith sets us apart. They sense that but now I know God is calling me to be more vocal and really stand up and share my faith. That is what we're here for!

Anyway this is getting a little long, but thanks also for commenting and sharing your thoughts. Anything new with your daughter? She is still in my prayers as you all are.
Blessings, Jill

Unknown said...

This study is fabulous. I honestly could not wait for Tuesday so I could write up what happened when I did the study. Mercy what I night that was. I love reading what everyone else got out of the chapter. I'm so looking forward to seeing what else God has in store for us all. Ladies, it's just week two! I can barely stand it :D

Anonymous said...

I'm REALLY appreciating your Tuesday posts!

Laurie Ann said...

Was this chapter awesome or what? I loved it! Had to put some ice on my toes from being stepped on, but the lessons learned were valuable. The things I need to leave behind are insecurity and anxiety. I'm so glad you decided to do this study and I so appreciate your hosting it each week. *hugs*

Lisa said...

Friend...
I emailed you twice, but I'm not sure you are getting them. :( Let me know if you don't (or if you do!)

Also, in my Bible study this morning, God gave me a verse that I think is also for you in your situation with your daughter. It talks about His pursuit of us when we run from Him. When you get a minute, go to my blog and read my quick post.

Much, much love for you!
Lisa :)

Sandra Garcia said...

Hi Lelia,

I admire your honesty! I, too, have control issues but I'm working on it. It was a pleasant surprise to read in Hebrews 11 that none of the faithful saw God's promises fulfilled but were still faithful to the end. That alone was awe inspiring to me.

Anonymous said...

I don't know where my mind has gone but I wrote early and forgot to link to here.

Lelia, your message tugged at my heart when I read about Gene feeling embarrased that his name wasn't recognized in the Husker Hall of Fame.
One of my proudest husband moments came when Ed made me take down the Husker Shrine I had built in our family room. Our son was just beginning to play football and Ed wanted him to enjoy the game for what it was and never feel he had to live up to anyone else's expectations or walk in anyones footsteps.
I thought about Gene so much since reading your post and this morning the daily reading in "The Word for you Today" said:

"The humbling truth is all achievements will eventually be surpassed, records will be broken and reputations will fade, and tributes will be forgotten. In college Dr James Dobson's goal was to become the school's tennis champion. He felt very proud when his trophy was prominently placed in a display cabinet. Years later someone mailed him that trophy. They had found it in a trash can when the school was remodeled. Dobson says 'Given enough time, all your trophies will be trashed by someone else'. Living to create an earthly legacy is a short-sighted goal. You weren't put here to be remembered, you were put her to do God's will and to prepare for eternity. If your wise you'll keep that in mind."


Your sound advice to Gene was right on. I would much rather have Ed here to help lead our grandkids to Jesus, then have him telling about the "glory days" on the football field.

Luanne

amy & lisa said...

I'm a day late...but I got my study notes posted on my blog. I am really enjoying reading everyone else's notes. So good!

amy & lisa said...

Oh I forgot...My son lives in Lincoln! I've been there several times to visit. He is attending college there as did my daughter a few years ago. We are from ND.

Anyway...just thought I'd share. :)

Yolanda said...

I am going through a season, I believe, where God is showing me an area of pride. I so hunger for others to realize the JOY of following God. Drawing the line in the sand was a great visual for me as even though I desire that for hurting women, I can't make them and it is about grace. But I also have to continue moving forward instead of being pulled backwards because one doesn't want to come up higher.

Not sure if this makes sense, but it does to me and God. Lelia, thanks for letting me post! Love ya and appreciate prayers for me with my pride.

Love,
Yolanda

Yolanda said...

Ladies,

I can't find anything on my name other than Greek & Spanish Origin, meaning violet flower.

So, therefore, I can't even begin to come up with a scripture for myself.

Can any of you help me?

Thanks,
Yolanda