Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

YES to GOD study: Chapter 20

Welcome again to the Thank you so much for your understanding yesterday and allowing me to not worry about posting. Also, thank you for your cherished prayers and comments. You all are just such a special God sent bunch.



This afternoon, I went with my 83 year old Grandpa to the hospital to see Grandma. After 60 years of marriage,it's so sweet to see the two of them together... A fist-sized tumor has been found in her colon. The doctor believes it is non-cancerous but will operate on Friday to make sure if she is able to endure surgery. Grandpa held the hand of his love as she shared the news with him...Whatever the outcome of this is Lord, our praises You will receive!



Gene's surgeon told us the fusion is not setting as it should and the screws are loose which causes him pain to the highest level. His movement needs to be restricted in hopes that he will heal so he was fitted for a brace that I might be using on my kids when they misbehave. It's tight and limits his ability to do anything. The surgeon also put him on 4 weeks of bed rest. Gulp.
Four weeks or
28 days or
672 hours.
Resting. In our bed.
I've called the Dallas Cowboys to ask if they can play every night for the next month just for my man. If they don't I fear I may become like the role of the psycho caretaker that Kathy Bates played so well in the movie "Misery".
May be good to keep Gene in your prayers.


The news that made fear try to rise up inside me since I'm our family accountant, is that he gets switched from short term disability to long term. His pay goes from 100% to only 60%. I told Gene to attach a note to the paperwork he has to fill out informing the benefits people at Pfizer that we are barely making it on the 100%. Lord, we choose to praise You. Period.



Thank you also for your prayers for my Mom's wrist. She is still in pain but her hand looks normal and she is feeling alot better. She'll spend every moment at the hospital with my Grandma so my Dad will be the Lone Ranger with the 3 kiddos. He has his own company and is his only employee so I pray he finds balance on top of the tight rope of filling in for Mom.


Oh, life is good isn't it? I'm anxious to see how God just works out what looks impossible for His good.

Okay...let's discuss the last chapter of Lysa TerKeurst's AWESOME book, "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith". Hard to believe we are at the end of this study. (sniff sniff)

Remember, anything in blue is a quote from the book...

CHAPTER 20: Every Promise Fulfilled


I want to be just like Joshua don't you? Oh, the faith he displayed in God was just tremendous!
Joshua must have known his calling had very little to do with his qualifications. God would be the deliverer, Joshua understood and walked confidently in that knowledge.
Joshua's confidence was steadfast because he was confident in God's promises.
Must have known his calling had very little to do with his qualifications. What a humbling revelation.

I loved how Lysa showed us the differences in the way Moses and Joshua chose to lead. I also loved that she showed respect to Moses and his mistakes by showing us how Joshua watched Moses and learned. Based on what he witnessed in Moses' leadership, Joshua chose to embrace his leadership role different from how Moses did. He let what he saw have a profound effect on his life.




Our son Aaron, who just started high school, is watching his older sister Alyssa closely. Just last night he was talking to me about some choices she has made that has effected him deeply. Chances that he'll venture down the same destructive path of choice looks pretty slim because he is learning from her mistakes. I wonder if Moses had realized just how closely he was being watched if he would have chosen to lead differently.


Lysa also makes it clear to us that we are in preparation to fully possess all the promises of God for ourselves.
It's easy to think of Joshua claiming promises, or Abraham deserving fulfilled promises, or Noah riding out the rain water of God's vows, but us? Strange to think we have access to the same God and the same promises as those mentioned in the Bible.


Lysa wraps up this book and chapter with this truth:
Walking with God takes you to amazing places, but even more importantly, it allows you to experience Him in amazing ways. We have not only experienced Him but hopefully we have also been transformed by Him.

So...

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WOMEN WALK IN FAITH?
It seems so many of us were blessed and challenged as the chapters we read coincided with our life. I'll never forget reading fellow study participant Jill's blog and grieving with her over her recent miscarriage. Just days before she would learn that her baby would be saving her a seat in heaven, God would have her read the chapter in this book titled: God Isn't Surprised by Death. God knew what was coming ahead for Jill and instead of being too busy for her, He prepared her. WOW!




We serve a God worth serving. We need a God that doesn't need us, but longs for us. We have the same God that Moses ticked off, but loved deeply. The same God Joshua so faithfully obeyed.
He's ours and what He has for us is up for our taking.
How bad do we want what He has for us?
Let's continue to chase this God down. I think it's one pursuit we'll never tire of.


I have enjoyed every step of this journey with you of learning to walk in faith . Who knew, the day we'd end this book/study that I'd find out that my husband's pay will be cut by 40 %? Or the day after I'd watch my Grandparents hold hands as Grandma tells her family she has a tumor.

My God did.
He knew and He has prepared the heart that pounds inside of this chest to choose to trust Him. The human part of me wants to crumble in fear at the thought of losing my Grandma. I feel the need to panic at the thought of less income, but the woman who is crazy about Jesus knows this is nothing to Him. He may not change my circumstances as I learned in this book, but if my heart pounds harder for Him when this is all said and done...praise be to God!



In no way do I want my blog to be about making myself look like something perfect. Something I'm not. I only write from my heart and so what you read is what you get. I don't believe that anything that comes our way is bad luck or just because. There is a purpose and reason of why my Grandma is enduring this in front of my unsaved Grandpa. There's a reason why we'll be losing 40% of our income. There is a reason Amiyah Elizabeth, the baby born to our 18 year old daughter last April was chosen to bless this family.



THIS is what gets me all excited and stirs up the passion I have for God. These things in my life right now...they look impossible. But this is the beauty of all the craziness I'm surrounded by: the God I love and adore is the same God Joshua loved and adored. I may not be doing it the same way he did, but what an example he left me. I am choosing to let God be in control here and what happens is only because He has allowed it to.




God is bigger than any pay cut. He is bigger than any confused teen mom. And my God is bigger than the tumor inside of my Grandma.
He is huge and He is worth walking life in surrendered faith.
At the end of each day I pray that my choices in my words, thoughts and actions brings Him glory. Most days I fail, but when I'm one on One with Him, He hears the cries of this wife and mom that so desperately desires to do life His way and one who knows He'll never give up on me.



Sweet sisters, whatever you are facing in your life, grab onto His hand and allow Him to walk you through it. I think when He gets us to where He wants us, we'll just be in more awe of who He is and what He's all about.


Thank you to Lysa for your obedience in walking in faith and then writing it down so we could learn from you. You have been our Joshua and I speak for many when I say we love you.
If you have more to share of this last chapter please sign up under Mr. Linky below so we can come visit you.


I love you Lord and one day I'll get it, just please never let Your patience run out with me.

Love,

Don't forget to get your book for the next YES to GOD Tuesday study beginning next week. Scroll down a few posts to get signed up and don't forget to invite fellow bloggers and even non-bloggers to join us.

God is good ladies, don't forget that truth!





18 comments:

Jill Beran said...

Lelia,
I loved every word you wrote. And I am praying for you in your struggles, I feel in the midst of some of my own and yes there is a reason we are finishing this book now. He has prepared us and won't leave us now as the journey continues on. It has been a blessing walking this road with you. I'm grateful for all Lysa shared in the book and I've been blessed by your words as well. I could not have had a better experience with my first ever blog study than this. Thank you for leading - God was at work and He used you. Blessings, Jill

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say "hi" and let you know I'm in prayer for you and your family (how precious are your Grandparents!!!). I'll be back tonight for the study - looking forward to it... Big hugs!

Tami said...

My, you have a lot on your plate right now, dear. My prayers are with you.

Runner Mom said...

Hey, girlfriend!
Wow! Bless your heart! I will be lifting up both of your grandparents. I will pray that God will just speak to your Grandpa and touch his heart so that he knows the Great Physicisan's touch upon his heart! What a witness you and your Grandma must be to him. I will be praying for Gene's pain--that it will be minimized and that Pfizer will actually come through for y'all. It doesn't hurt to pray for this!! Thank you for your joy and willing spirit--you are just precious.

I'm going to run for awhile and will be praying as I click off some miles.

Much love,
Susan

Liz said...

Popped by to check in and now praying for all that is going on in your beautiful family.
You are being carried, Lelia. When Gene gets all better, you need to find a way to get down here to TX for a Dallas cowboys game! LOL! You would so have a place to stay. (just minutes from the stadium) I am praying for Gene's recovery and your patient caretaking.
I am waiting impatiently for Behind Those Eyes...scrolling the pages already.

Prayers and hugs,
Liz

Amy said...

Lelia, as I was reading your post, I really think that we are related.;)

We have been hit with so many similar things, but even the things that differ, still pack a physical and emotional punch.

God keeps bringing His verses in Matthew 7 to me.(I have already shared them twice today.)

Matthew 7:24-27
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

You will notice that the storms described in these verses are EXACTLY the same.

Just like Moses and Joshua, our storms in this life, whether they be physical or emotional, really do not differ at all...the only thing that differs is our foundation.

I will be praying for you and your family....And we really should check about that family tree....We probably both fell off of the same branch.;)

God Bless,
Amy:)

P.S. I love the Misery picture...I'm sure Shannon was tempted to "hobble" me a time or two himself.;) LOL!:)

LynnSC said...

Lelia... I just want to thank you for doing these book studies. You have led me to two different authors that I might never have had the awesome blessing of reading their work.

This book has been a God-send to me. I have met Him on every page of this book. Thanks so much for your obedience to Him.
Lynn

MrsProverbs31 said...

Lelia, I'm so sorry you're experiencing great challenges in your life. The greater the challenge, the larger the blessing, though when we are experiencing it, we don't see it that way. If only we can transfer all of what our mind knows to our heart, we would not fear-but then we wouldn't be human, would we? Hmmm!

Just want you to know, you're not alone. All over the world, your sisters-in-Christ are suffering the same experiences. And, thank you for sharing it with us, now I don't feel so alone anymore. God bless you.

Paula V said...

Lelia,
You expressed so much, so beautifully. I agree with everything you said. There really is no need for me to expound yet my love for words want to say more.

Where to begin? I felt your anxiety as you spoke of all those unknowns in your life. The fear of losing income...oh my, does that grab all of us at the pocket book or what? It is very scarey.

Yet, I love every affirmation and confirmation you made of how big God is and how in control He is of this. He is bigger than illness, decisions, money loss. I love how you mentioned there is purpose and these things don't just happen.

You know I have questioned why things had to happen in my marriage and result in divorce to such sadness at satan having his way NOW but not forever.

I really can't add anything worthy but I am just awe struck with how your every word pricked my heart, convicted my heart, jumped my heart. I love all that you expressed over how we run faster after him, our hearts pound harder, and that we can be just plum excited when we see such impossibles in our lives. I feel my heart twinges every time I hear the word impossible regardless of the context or situation. I guess through my own impossibles I've become on fire for believing passionately in God for overcoming those gravely impossible impossibles. It is exciting to see what God will do in these seemingly unfixable, unproductive, unimagineable situations. YET, it does take faith and much patience to wait on the Lord. Amy quoted on her blog Heb. 6:15, which states after he (Abraham) patiently endured, he received the promise.

Wow...is that great or what. I don't know that is is the purest of motives to wait just so we can receive. It's not about get, get, get. But rather, what a promise to us in which we can follow...wait, wait, wait, and God will also provide for us...He will keep His word and provide His promises.

You have been on my mind and heart and in my prayers since I first read your post last night. Just so you know, I read it so intently that I noticed you've removed one sentence since I read it last night. :-)

I want to give some sort of words of wisdom and encouragement yet, you are filled with them and you've blessed your readers with encouragement today just by your attitude and spirit.

Love ya, sweet one.
Paula

Julie said...

Thinking of you today, Lelia. It is going to be a precious thing for you to walk through this time and see how Papa God reveals Himself. He's got you and yours!

Some news for you.. My Hannah has heard God tell her to stay put here for now, so she will not be returning to England. One of the youth directors is moving. This has opened up a place for her to volunteer and work with the youth. Though the church cannot afford to pay her she is ecstatic that she has a place to jump in and help with these teenage girls. She's really excited and is going to start a Bible study with the girls. She's wanted to work with youth for some time now..

So, all that said, she will not be living on support. She will be looking for a job, car, etc. She'll be living with us. We still have your check and will either mail it back or tear it up, whichever you prefer.

I was afraid to email you as the last email I sent, you never got.

I think you still have my email address, so either email me or go to my blog and leave me a message as to what you want her to do with the check you sent.

Thank you for your heart to support her.

Love,
Julie

Tammy said...

Lelia,
You and your family will be in my prays.

Yes, I thought Lysa's was beautiful,too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lelia you're in my heart and my prayers right now. blessings, marlene

HisPrincess said...

I just love your perspective. Not a hint of "poor me" in there anywhere! I'm learning so much from you.

Paula said...

Hey Lelia, I've sent you an email but I am checking back here as I think I'm "addicted to Lelia"! In all seriousness though, you inspire me and I agree with 'hisprincess' above in that your post did not have one single hint of "woe is me" to it. God plants these challenges in our lives to strengthen our resolve, develop our character and to bring us closer to Him. He loves us so much and it's evident in how He looks after us and never lets us deal with more than He knows we can handle. You ARE an inspiration, as are all the other ladies who I follow here in our precious online community. Keep smiling lovely lady and be good to yourself! Love ya, Paula :-)

Scrapper Mom said...

Hi. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and commenting.

I have never been "That" direction before, so I had to ask, but we are headed to Gordon, NE. Our preacher's wife said we will be going through Lincoln but it is about 8 hours from our destination. The reservation we are headed to is Pine Ridge just inside South Dakota.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lelia,

I am so sorry to hear that "life" is sending you some arrows again. But I feel as if you just had a christian pep rally!! I love it!! YOU encouraged me today.

GOD IS BIGGER THAN ALL OF OUR "ISSUES" AND HE LOVES THOSE WHO LOVE HIM WITH HIS EVERLASTING LOVE!

Hang in there my friend and thanks for visiting my blog. I got my "behind those eyes" book in the mail just the other day--can't wait!!

Blessings today to you and your family!
Kim

Kelley said...

Hey Friend,
I am sooo sorry about all that is happening right now. I am praying for you and your family. If it wasn't so serious I could get a real laugh out of the fact you said your husband has some "screws loose". Please keep your eyes looking up, God is going to use all of this pain and fear for HIS glory!! I love you friend and I hope we can talk very soon....

LOVE and Prayers,
KELLEY

Kimberly said...

I am sorry I don't make it by more often! I will certainly be praying for you, for Gene, for your grandparents, for your mom.

I am so glad you know where your hope comes from!

Love,
K :)