Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

YES to GOD: Chpts: 8 & 9

UPDATE BELOW 8/6/08


Hello Friends!! Welcome to

If you are visiting for the first time we are discussing the awesome book by our friend/sister in Christ, Lysa TerKeurst called "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith."

We read 2 chapters a week and gather here every Tuesday and share with each other what God showed us and how we are striving to live a faith filled life. We'd love to have you. Join us anytime. This book is an "easy read" and will take no time at all to play catch up with us. If you're not reading the book, join us anyway and feel free to share on the topic of faith.

Okay, first of all. I am SO excited!!! My son Aaron comes home today from Florida and I have not kissed his face or hugged his neck for two whole weeks!! That is 14 days. That is 336 hours!! I miss my man-child and I know he misses me although I'd probably have to bribe him with a box of Whoppers to get him to admit it in public. Note to self: stop at Walgreens and purchase a box of Whoppers before heading to the airport.

I think his dog Kane understood me this morning when I told him his boy was coming home today. His tail started wagging and he licked my neck. Sure sign that he knows the one who buys the meat covered dog bones will soon be returning. He is in the air right now so I am just praying God brings him the way he left me.

Okay, I have to confess something to you. Your Tuesday leader needs to be beamed up because she has not done her reading. "Scotty, beam me up." would be so nice to have happen right now, but then my son would be sad when his Dad showed up to the airport solo. Without Whoppers. So, I must stay and just be honest with you all.

Those of you that gave me great advice (that I am following) on the Desperate Housewife post would be so proud that my home is getting cleaner everyday. Last night I cleaned the bathroom while telling the Lord I am doing this for Him. Let's just say, I've never had such a clean bathroom! If you came over for lunch today we would be eating off the floor in there. With no plates and we'd be dipping our cups in the tub to get our water because it is just that clean!

Now, I'm not using my cleaning kick that I'm on as an excuse. I'm sure if I really think about my week there have been moments I could've been reading but instead I chose to waste my time. Like when I had the TV on and Marie Osmond was boasting about the 40 pounds she has lost on Nutri-System and my sweet 7 year old Alivia said, "Mom, you should really get on that." Total Time Waster.

Anyway, I have no excuse good enough for not making the time to keep my commitment, but I will be reading it on the drive to KC and will post later tonight after I tuck my boy in. BUT you still share what God has showed you in these 2 chapters and if you have more to share on your own blog sign up under Mr. Linky.

So, please forgive me for my lack of being faithful to our faith study this week. You all are such a blessing to my life. I just don't think you have any idea. Let's just say if you were flying in to see me, I'd have your favorite candy in my hand. xoxo

Love you much,










UPDATE:

Here is my YES to GOD study thoughts:

First of all, picked the man-child up in Kansas City. He professed how much he missed me. In public. I was happy. Teary eyed even. Whoppers were handed over. He was happy. Teary eyed I do believe. Dad wished he would've thought of the chocolate malt balls.

We got back in town and ate at a new restaurant that just opened in Lincoln called The Texas Roadhouse. It was awesome! Very happy reunion. He's already planning for next summer's stay.

OKAY...remember anything in blue is a quote from the book.

Chapter 8: Refusing to Get Bogged Down

This is a season of learning to depend on God. As a result, things will be stripped from you that hinder the relationship He wants to have with you.

This time of loss will lead to a time of great celebration one day.


This especially touched my heart because I am having to let go of some tough stuff right now. Things I don't want to part with, but feel real strong that God wants me to. I don't believe I'll be struck down by lightning if I hang on to these things, but I might as well be if I choose to have a heart of stubbornness versus obedience. The life I'll miss out with from choosing God's way will outshine a life trying to maintain the control I don't have.

So, I'm giving in and am so excited!!

I loved Lysa's view on Joseph and what a model of a life totally surrendered to obey no matter where he woke up and found himself. On page 81 Lysa states: The effects of their bad decision haunted generations who came after them. As we make ordinary decisions on ordinary days, do we, I wonder, have any idea of the impact and influence those decisions have on the people around us and the generations to come?

Oh this just spoke so loudly to my heart. Today my teenager is moving out. Found an apartment in a not so good part of town. Amiyah will be staying with us. The car we just co-signed for her at the beginning of June will be staying with us due to decision of inviting alcohol into her life. So she leaves. Thinking she knows it all. Thinking she has a plan. Unwilling to listen to anyone who has been down this hard path of living unprepared, paycheck to paycheck just so you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself. I have wondered does she have any idea how her choices affect many? Her parents, daughter, siblings, grandparents and aunt? Jesus? The rebellion in this child had just about did me in. What Joseph's brothers did doesn't sound so bad right now. I'd sell her in a heart beat and smile all the way to the bank. Forgive me Lord...

CHAPTER 9: A Most Unlikely Path

Oh, so far this is probably one of my favorite chapters. There's 11 more to read, so I'm sure I'll say that again before closing this book.

God knows best.

I know HE is so much wiser than I am so why don't I trust Him all the time with every situation that arises in my life? Jeremiah 32:17 says that Nothing is too hard for Him. So why do I always try to take control of stuff in my life?

Right now I am trying hard to let this rebel in my life called my teenage daughter/teen mom just go live the life she thinks she wants. I really think in her mind that she thinks she is doing what is best. I am losing sleep over her meeting the land lord tonight at 5pm because I know she is not following or even interested in God's best for her life. God's way isn't even a map she wants to look at. So, I release her into the wild and pray harder. Lean harder on Him because you know what? GOD, not Alyssa is in control.

The end of the chapter was awesome of how Lysa responded to God in how she loved on her husband Art. How easy it would've been for her to tear into him. Years of me standing at this very fork in the road of choice and choosing my way on how to treat Gene flashed through my mind. Failed opportunities to glorify my Savior, but many more to come. How will I choose to react?

Such great stuff we're learning ladies. Remember, that God is so worth all the hardships and pain we endure in our pursuit to just get close enough to hear His heart beat as Lysa described.

Alyssa was my firstborn and I had her natural. No pain meds, no epidural just pure pain. She was worth all of that pain though and I still look at her and think the same way. God is worth no meds, no epidural and just pure pain. He is. I know this and that's why He still can look over His shoulder of grace and see me chasing after Him.

~Love you~

See you next Tuesday for chapters 10 & 11. I promise to my part this week on time.

17 comments:

Jill Beran said...

Lelia,
Thanks for your honesty and blessings as you see your son!! Mine leaves for 2 nights tomorrow and I'm dreading that!! Blessings, Jill

Runner Mom said...

Woohoo! Kisses from those babies are just wonderful! My 15 and 12 year old boys are taking me out on a date tonight, and I can't wait!!! Hubby is going riding with friends, so it'll be me and my babies!

I read the chapters and both were really good. I particularly enjoyed Ch. 9. At the end of the chapter, Lysa talks about how Gods' voice can be as gentle as a whisper. He can gently remind me that I need to use that same voice when I affirm my hubby and children. He tells us again that He is the Way and to walk in it. I need Him to whisper that to me on a daily basis. I want to be faithful always, but I'm not.I stumble with the best of them. But He can pick me up, dust me off, and set me on His path once again--more confident and assured that He is right beside me.

Love ya!
Susan

Laura said...

I'm so happy for you being reunited with your special guy! Two weeks is a long time for any mommy! I'm jealous of your cleaning zest...my house could use a whole lotta sprucing up! Keep walking in faith!

Paula V said...

Congratulations on the successful cleaning!!

Smiling with you over the reunion with you baby boy.

That Alivia is something else huh? She gets her honesty from her momma...that should make you proud. Okay, maybe as she grows older she also learn honesty with tact as you. I mean the comments she's made to you about your weight is something she might need to think twice about when she is 30 and speaking to her co-worker or even mother-in-law! Ugg.

Her comments are precious because they are so raw, genuine, and pure.

I still need to read nine.
Luvya,
Paula

amy & lisa said...

Love all your honesty about your house. Your posts about not finishing a project could have been written by me as I'm pretty good at that kind of thing too. I'm definitely not a fixer! I just painted the bathroom and didn't finish it cause I hate it....who knows when I'll re-do it! Oh well.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Lelia-I have done my reading but will not be able to post this week until tomorrow or so because of being away (as I told you over the phone thispast weekend). It's okay...Life has been crazy!!

I have a give-a-way on my blog site for anyone who has time-feel free to enter!!

Praying for you and your family!!

In His Grace~Pamela

Yolanda said...

Lelia,

THAT'S RIGHT....keep clearing (things to make room for God. Keep claiming (His truths) and keep clinging (to Christ)!

I'm walking something very similiar only with my siblings and father. This is the second time around the STUPID mountain, but I know that I know that I know....God's Best is what I want, and so I pray and release.

Love ya,
Yolanda

Jill Beran said...

Lelia,
Your words and reflections really spoke to me - guess I need the reminder that God's way is best and He is worthy of any pain we may experience because of our faith. I admire you for the way you are handling things with your daughter, I'm sure it isn't easy, but giving it to God is where it all starts and it's obvious you are doing that.

I was just visiting with a good friend today, who is in a struggle with her own teenage daughter and I shared your story with her. She had mentioned how last night at Bible study she didn't even know what to share for a prayer request and I mentioned how maybe we need to pray that dangerous prayer - simply that Mallory would be broken and hit bottom. It's hard for me to even think about doing that for my children, but it does make sense and often the right thing isn't the easy thing. Anyway just wanted to share how God used your story to help me relate to a friend in a similar struggle. Pretty neat!
Blessings, Jill

Leaon Mary said...

Hey Lelia,
Just popped in and made my rounds to read what everyone else gleaned from the study this week, then followed up on your post as well.
I'm SO HAPPY you went with your milkballs in hand to greet your son!!!! That is exactly where you should have been.
I really think God is giving you that LIFT with your son,... to help balance out your ache thee other way with your daughter. That happened when our oldest son went wayward for awhile. Our younger son was doing so well and our relationship with him blossomed. But our prodigal CAME BACK and so WILL YOURS! AMEN! I BELIEVE! ...
BE ENCOURAGED, STAND STRONG. BE BRAVE. ;)
JESUS LOVES YOU SOOO MUCH and remember what I said in my email?..That I've watched you doing since I started reading you? YUP! It's true!
THE JOY OF THE LORD IS YOUR STRENGTH!
Lea
<*)))><

Anonymous said...

It's just so hard to let go and let God do his thing in his timing.

Hang in there!!

Glad to hear that Aaron got home safely with milkballs in hand. And I am sure that the public display of affection was worth the wait!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lelia! Reading your thoughts of the study has been helpful and encouraging every week, and this one is no exception. But, I'm stuck on Alyssa. I'm over on the other side of the world from you guys, never having met any of you, and my heart is breaking for her and for you and her baby. I'm praying - with a face full of tear streaks - that she be brought to her knees soon by our God, and that she recognises Him in such a personal way that will enable her to stop creating more and more pain for herself and you guys.

Father, please make this young Mum well in mind, body and spirit, renew her strength, and help her to grasp all the goodness in her life and run with it with her baby in her arms. Help her to see past her nose, to see her God-given potential and that of her daughter's, and to put into place her faith in You so that she may move forward with freedom from guilt, shame, arrogance, or whatever may be holding her back. Help her to see what she has with her family as a blessing, to know that only they have her best interest at heart. Guide her "mother heart" so that she will fight fearlessly to protect her child and take her rightful place as her Mother. Bring her to her knees, Lord, and carry her HOME, and bless her immensely as you make straight her path. Amen

Anonymous said...

Allow me to share what God says about the matter of wayward children:

Thus says the Lord:
"Refrain your voice from weeping,
And your eyes from tears;
For your work shall be rewarded,
says the Lord,
And they shall come back from the
land of the enemy.
There is hope in your future, says
the Lord,
That your children shall come back
to their own border."
Jeremiah 31:16,17

May this minister to you as it does to me. I completely understand (am living) your pain and lift you and your entire family up in prayer.
In His Love and Hope,
Karan

amy & lisa said...

Sometimes it IS hard to just be okay with the way things are, but like you said HE is worth it. What a blessing we all have to know that we can trust in Him!
Lisa

Susan said...

Leila,

Has anyone told you how cute you were lately? I mean in every way, both physically and your personality!! I'd love to hang out with you girlfriend!!

I loved your "Scotty beam me up", I think I'll use that one. (Not on my blog OK?), and then the total waste of time listening to Marie Osmond, can you hear my AMEN all the way to Nebraska?

Finally, your bathroom, hmmmm, drinking out of your tub, makes me thirsty!! You are a RIOT!!

OK, just wanted to check in and tell you hi and I love you.

One of these days I'm going to officially join in on the study, I promise.

Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy reading your posts and everyone's comments.

Runner Mom said...

Lelia,
Hey, girlfriend! I just popped back over to read the comments. And yours spoke to me. I will continue to lift up Alyssa and her decisions. I will pray for wisdom, discernment and for safety. For you and Gene...wisdom and grace. Bless your sweet little hearts. If I was closer to Nebraska, I'd drive over and give you a hug.

Love you,
Susan

Unknown said...

Lelia:

You picked statements I also had highlighted! This book is awesome!
When you talk about Alyssa, I think about my 13 year old. She ided to just do whatever last school year. It showed in her grades (she barely got out of 7th grade. Now she regrets that decision because she has to work three times harder now to get into the high school she wants. If only she had listened. But her hard work this year will benefit her and I know God is in control.

It's so hard when we speak from the voice of experience and our kids reject it. I am sure God feels that way too! I think that is what keeps me grounded. I'll keep praying for Alyssa. I know God is in control with her too. She'll figure that out and boy will we all have a bloggy praty!

Kay Martin said...

Thanks for being real about your house. I'm on a mission to get down what I can handle. Should I order a commercial dumpster?

God bless you for this lively blog; you are a blessing.