Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Yes to God Tuesday-ch. 1

Hello Friends!
Welcome to the Yes to God Tuesday study of Lysa TerKeurst's book, "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith".
Oh what sweet timing Jesus has. In reading the introduction, chapter 1 and doing the study at the end of the chapter I feel such encouragement pour down straight from the throne that seats the King of my life.
Thank you again for your outpouring of love and prayers for my girl and our family. So tough, but you know what? I wouldn't trade this for anything else. I mean that because of where it is taking not only me, but my husband, my sister, my parents and my other kids in our personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
These last 6 days I've experienced a level of intimacy with God that I've never had before and I thought we were pretty close before all of this. I was wrong. Over the last week I have had numerous times of just losing it with Him. Losing my desire to be in control. Losing my fear of what's going to happen with my girl. At 3am on my knees sobbing to Him and yet praising Him at the same time, I have become lost in Him. I have never felt this close to Him and I can honestly say that even though the absence of my daughter hurts like crazy I would rather have her absent in my life than Jesus.
This is more than just typing out words on my blog that make people cry or feel touched. I am now having to walk out how I really feel about my Savior. Whether my daughter returns home or not doesn't matter if through this you have not seen Jesus loud and clear in my life. Please hear my heart here, I want her home, BUT I want God's will for her life and mine. I want you to see the greatness of God in this hardship.
I have faith that He's gonna get her and when He does I will be there praising Him like I am now. For Him to capture her heart is worth any bad decision she is making now. Her heart is already softening. Last night she left Jarrel's house and stayed with her friend Amy who is also a teen mom. I know she is safe and she text my sister at 11pm last night asking for a ride to come home. Unfortunately my sister didn't have her phone and she didn't answer by the time she returned her text, but her heart is slowly melting into His hands and I am loving every minute of this pain because I KNOW God is just getting started. I saw her yesterday and got to hug her, kiss her and tell her how much I love her. I told her how you all are praying for her. I even told her when she is sleeping, my blog friends in Australia are awake and praying over her. She knows, she just needs to be broken. And so I wait in faith that God is not going to forsake her.
OKAY...
CHAPTER 1: The Map
Any words in blue is a quote from the book.
A week and a half ago I was in North Carolina attending the She Speaks conference for writers and speakers. Over 500 women there because God has placed in them a desire to serve Him. For me it was a huge step of obedience in pursuing the desires within my heart for writing. I loved how Lysa shared how she too had attended a conference and left "feeling excited, only to be hit with a shocking dose of reality back home."
Friday night at the conference Lysa spoke of this very thing. She encouraged us to "not resent the task of your everyday life because it is preparing you for ministry."
In the book she tells us how God does not call the qualified, but He qualifies the called.
What I am going through right now He is qualifying me for the calling He has put on my life. I have to trust He knows what He is doing.
Wherever we are in our life God wants to use us and if we are having an obedient heart to Him then we are in ministry. Right now my ministry is my blog. What I thought was just for fun has turned out to be an incredible experience of drawing me closer to Him. He's so sly isn't He? I'm so glad He didn't see my intentions for my blog through my eyes.
His vision is so much better!
At the end of the chapter Lysa asks a very important question from God.
WILL YOU HONOR ME?
Will you honor Me Lelia even though you are feeling helpless about your daughter?
Will you honor Me Amy when the relationship with your sister is not where you want it to be?
Will you honor Me Pam when I allow hardship to come your way as you are stepping out in ministry with your husband?
Will you honor Me Kelley when you feel frustrated with your teenager's choices?
Will you honor Me Lysa as you watch your mother physically and spiritually slipping away?
Will you honor Me_______ (say your name) with the current circumstances in your life?
This journey we're on ladies has to be all about Him. What is the dream God has birthed in your heart? Lysa tells us when a woman begins to walk in faith toward God, He will give the dream.
I loved the study at the end of the chapter. I have the verses Hebrews 10:35-36 written on a note card so I can memorize them. Please leave a comment of what God showed you in this chapter and if you have more to share with us please leave a link to your blog.
Let's walk this faith journey together!
Live for Christ today,
Meet back here next Tuesday ready to discuss chapter 2 and the study!




28 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Love this, Lelia. Still praying.

Laura said...

Hello, Dear One! I am so excited to enter into this journey with you. As I read, it was impossible not to think of you and your circumstances right now. God speaks...
You are on my heart, my friend!
luv,laura

Laurie Ann said...

Lelia, so glad you decided to do this! Reading the introduction and the first chapter really reminded me that relying on God and honoring Him for me begins with surrendering my inadequacies to him. Such a comfort to know we have God on our side, isn't it?

Definitely clinging to Hebrews 10:35-36.
Still praying for your daughter...

Runner Mom said...

Thank you Lelia for doing this. After talking to you at She Speaks, I purchased the book--along with 4 others that I bought!!! It speaks volumes!

What I got from this chapter is that surrendering my inadequacies requires faith that is a work in progress. I'm just thankful that God is patient and will woo me until I completely trust Him with whatever He wants to do in my life. I have a feeling that it involves Women's Ministry to a certain degree. I'm trying to be faithful and listen to Him through His Word, inspirational blogs (!), trusted friends, and of course prayer. We're all on a faith journey...we're just at different places along the way.

I will continue to keep y'all in my prayers.
Love ya,
Susan

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Waling in faith-let's go fearless leader!! I think this journey is going to be bumpy. I am so thankful for you and your minstry here!

In His Graces~Pamela

Yolanda said...

Lelia, Pam & Kelley,

I am so thankful that you all are seeking GOD in the middle of the struggles that surrounded you after coming home from She Speaks.

The enemy never, ever, not for one second, leaves us alone when we are drawing ever nearer to the VERY ONE that kicked him out of heaven.

What a message you all are going to have to share not only through blogs, but through writing and speaking some time in the distant future as you walk this path that God KNEW you would be walking. Walking....with HIM.

Lord, I SO want to HONOR YOU and draw ever nearer. I so want my mistakes and brokeness not to be in vain, but to help just ONE woman turn back to that beautiful narrow path. Placing one foot in front of the other, following YOU.

I love you, Lelia!

Yolanda

kcaimee said...

I ordered the book and am waiting anxiously for its arrival so I can join in.

Tammy said...

Your faith in Jesus during this storm will get you through.I know that as you walk through this dark place,Jesus is with you and the blessings are just on the other side!

Unknown said...

Loving it, Lelia! I'm so glad we are starting on this book! I've waited until now to read it because I wanted to experience it fresh with you guys. And I'm so glad we are starting this book!!! Did I already say that? hahaha

My take on the introduction and chapter one is this--God has given me a dream that only I can fulfill. Whoo-Hoo! Love it!

I'll keep praying that Alyssa continues to move in the right direction and away from harm's way.

Prayers and Blessings, sweet one!
Rebecca

Sita said...

Hi Lelia,
You are indeed going through the fire--with the same bluster God knew you had--he knows His girl..He sure does...I found this song on another blog, (Women In His Image) and thought of you...

Nichole Nordeman songs (”Burnin” on the album Wide Eyed 1998):

Started rubbing sticks together
Thought a spark would take forever
Never dreamed this fire would appear
When Moses saw the bush in flames
And heard the branches speak his name
I wonder if he felt this kind of fear

Cuz I’m burnin’, yeah I’m burnin’
And I know I’m gonna blister in these flames
But I’ll stay here till this smoke clears
And I’ll find You in the ashes that remain

Used to be that I could say
My faith was one arm’s length away
From any flame that ever felt too warm
Asked for matches, but I received
A gallon full of gasoline
And now my cozy campfire days are gone

“Knock with caution at the door,” they said
“Beware of what you’re praying for”
So I’ll stand with my whole desire
In the middle of this forest fire
Till I’ve nothing left to show
And new life begins to grow

Paula V said...

Lelia,
I totally get what you say about you wouldn't trade this experience for anything...even the return of your girl, IF forced to choose. That's exactly how I feel with my situation. I want my beloved to return also but not if it meant not having experienced this close walk with Jesus. I think we we get to the point of letting go of everything, especially those things most precious to us and wanting only Jesus, then things really begin to happen.

Regarding the book, I (stupidly) read it about two or three weeks ago thinking I'd be on top of things but I didn't have time to refresh much. I did put a note beside Lysa's two paragraphs at the bottom of page 14. I'll spare writing it out but it spoke of not knowing how in the world God could use me and not knowing when He'd use me. I could relate with Lysa saying she didn't think she had much to offer (ME TOO) but God would fill in the gaps. She talked about the waiting period, time of growth, and perseverance.

That just tugged at my heart that a woman like Lysa felt that way and it made me feel "normal" or "okay" with feeling inadequate. I often feel there's so many good writers and good aspiring writers that how could I ever make much of a difference. Rather, wouldn't I just fall into the crowd unnoticed and therefore not affecting, encouraging, inspiring others through my writings as I desire.

I won't be posting on my blog this week. I'll make sure I do next week.

Lelia, you, Alyssa, and your family are in my prayers. I find such encouragement in your words and your positive and CONFIDENT attitude toward Jesus' control in her life.
Much love to you, my friend.
Paula

kcaimee said...

Just realized I ordered the wrong book; I got the one from the study you've already completed...big sigh! Well, I'll have to see if I can get this book from the library so I can join in.

Sandra Garcia said...

Lelia,

Thank you so much for leading this study. But I'm mostly rejoicing that Alyssa will be home soon - praise God!

Blessings,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

So, so glad to know that Alyssa's reaching out... I've been reading the 'Yes to God' posts each time you blog them and they've been impacting me incredibly. I'm going to look at getting hold of the book; I'm sure it would be either available here or can be shipped, so here's hoping I can get hold of it soon. You know, it's so funny how things go, as one night, just before Amiyah was born I was feeling like I was "in the depths" (I'm sure you know what I mean) and I was just blog-surfing. A blog profile I was on (???) showed an interest in scrapbooking, so I just clicked on it. As I scrolled through the long list of people who'd put that as their interest (for there are a FEW of us!!!) I came across His Princess in South Australia, read her blog and then saw a comment from you and hit your button. I believe all that bouncing around from place-to-place was meant to be because of all that I'm discovering or re-discovering through your blog!!! Someone said it in a comment on your previous post that they wanted to give you a hug. I laughed, because that's exactly how I feel. I don't know you, but I just want to hug you, in gratitude, in friendship, in sisterly love, with compassion and for support. Here comes one now...

Susan said...

Leila,

Still praying and pressing in over here. God has a plan, and it's a good one, trust me.

Wish I was there go give you a great big hug. I've been where you are it, it hurts and it takes a whole lot of TRUST.

I love that God is speaking directly to your heart, this is a time you will never forget.

He is faithful...

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" Phillipians 4:13).

Michelle said...

Lysa's statement "He wants us to put personal conveniences aside, lay down our own ideas, and get past our stubborn will to have and do things our way and in our time" sums it all up.

I will honor God where I am, even when I'm losing my job this month because the company is closing this office.

I will persevere with confidence in God as His plan is carried out.

So glad to hear Alyssa is safe. She will remain in my prayers. I'm proud of you for walking the walk, so to speak. Blessings!

Carol said...

Been praying. Still praying. Can't wait to see what He does.

Unknown said...

Lelia:

I've been praying for your daughter since I read your posts that she had left. My heart just aches for you and for her. I pray that she learns to really feel God's love and let it take her to places she has never dreamed of. He's awesome like that.

I've blogged my response to today's lesson.

Hang in there! God is going to do something amazing for Alyssa.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Lelia,

So good to see that Alyssa's heart is softening. I'm so glad she's with a friend now too.

I agree God is going do amazing things for Alyssa, as well as work through her in a BIG way!

Praying,
Cheryl

HisPrincess said...

Still praying while you are sleeping!

Hugs and blessings.
Sharon.

LynnSC said...

I wanted to let you know that I am checking back in. I actually bought the book... but I haven't read chapter one yet. I will have to get back with that.

I wanted to let you know that in the middle of my face down, bawling, begging fest yesterday morning that you and your daughter came to mind. I stopped and began to pray for you and your family. Being a parent is so hard... but God is SO good. I want things to be better between my daughter and me too... but not if it means that she will never meet Jesus the way that I have. And... I know that there is so much more that I don't even know. We are struggling in our home with another situation that is nearly devastating... but I so want to be in God's will that I have peace in the midst of the storm. If there is what He wants for us at this time... "alrighty then... here we are". What can He show me here?? God is so into every detail in our lives. There is a purpose for His glory in each one. I will wait here until He moves us. I don't really like it... not what I want... but His desire for us is better in the long run than anything that I could think that I want. Thanks so much for sharing your lives with us and allowing us to do the same with you.

Lynn

Amy said...

Hi Lelia!

I'm humbled by your honesty. You are most definitely being used by God.

I love what Lisa says here: "when a woman begins to walk in faith toward God, He will give the dream."

God has definitely planted His dream for me in my heart....I don't know His "How" or His "When" but I know "What" the dream is...until then, I just have to keep believing.

I am definitely having a hard time lately physically, which spills over into me spiritually. I pray that when my physical health returns....my spiritual health will soon follow.

Obviously with a month of bed rest ahead of me, God is trying to get my attention....I realize I'd better give it to Him, amen?:)

Once I am able, I am looking forward to reading what God shows you and the other women in this study about Himself and His dreams for all of us.

Also, Lelia, if you get a chance, stop by my blog tomorrow (July 3)because I have something for you.

God Bless,
Amy:)

Melanie said...

Oh, Lelia... so glad you've been able to speak with and hug Alyssa. I'm still praying...

Cindy Swanson said...

Hi Lelia...I'm not part of the study, but I just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed visiting your blog! Your little granddaughter is absolutely beautiful...I'm going to read your daughter's story. Stop by my blog when you have a moment.

Jill Beran said...

Walking in faith - He never says it will be easy, but yet asks us to trust and obey. Today as I told my children the very thing, I was quite convicted - had that feeling like do I upset God the same way my kids do me? As I ask them why they did wrong, the voice inside my head tells me the same reason you do. He has promised us many things, wonderful things, so we must hold tight, be confident and endure. Lysa mentioned perspective, how easy is it to lose that in the midst of the battle? I know it's way too easy for me. Our Pastor has just spent the last 3 weeks talking about the biggest battlefield there is - our mind!! As the verses say we must resist satan and focus on Christ by drawing near. I look forward to the rest of the study, thanks for doing this. There is power in connecting with other believers, whether they be next door or just an email away. My prayers are with you, Jill

valerie said...

Hey there Lelia!
About being in the "Spotlight" on Patty's blog....I was as surprised as you were. And yes, yes....come join us. I'll gladly squeeze your precious little body in my suitcase. I wish you could go.
It's gonna be a great time meeting up with so many Siestas.
I wish I could participate in your study, however, I'm doing "No Other Gods" at this time.
I'll definitely check into this one in the future.
Love you & keeping your family in my prayers.
Valerie

amy & lisa said...

Hi.
I bought the study book! We live at least 80 miles away from any Bookstore so I was thrilled when I was able to get away on Thursday and buy the book. I've read the first chapter and yes, I'm going to enjoy this study. Thank you for hosting this!
Glad to hear things are a bit more settled with your daughter. I'll continue to keep her in my prayers.
God Bless.
Lisa

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Lelia,
I think I am supposed to do this study with you... I'm not exactly sure what to do?... Please wb... the things you wrote about... I'm walking through the same thing... I know I need this study... it wasn't coincidence how we just "met."
Lea
<*)))><