Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

Yes to God Tuesday: Ch. 4&5

Welcome to
The first part of this post was written last night...

I am sitting in Kelley's beautiful home blogging on her lap top. We have had so much fun this evening. Her family made us feel like we have known them for years as her husband John with 5 of their 7 kids greeted us at the car!
I just feel so welcome.
Alivia is having a blast with Kelley's two younger daughters Cece and Sophie. Aaron is hanging out with 2 of her teenagers, Jake and Lilly and Amiyah is being kissed on by Kelley as I type. Such a neat family and they have the sweetest dog named Maggie!
I wish you were all here with us.


Oh, and this house. Oh. My. Goodness! I was going to secretly walk around and take a ton of pictures, post them on my blog and pretend like it was my house, but of course God doesn't want me to lie so I won't.
Actually the camera's battery is dead.

It is such a warm and very beautiful place to be. With 7 kids, a husband and a dog I don't think she'll even notice if I don't ever leave.


Okay...let's get to our study. If you are just joining us, every Tuesday we meet here and discuss
Lysa TerKeurst's book called "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith." This book is an easy read so no matter where we are you can catch up. So join us anytime!
Starting this week we are discussing two chapters a week.

Chapter 4: Loving God more than My Dream
Remember: Anything in blue is a quote from the book

Walk
ing with God will indeed take you to amazing places--but it won't always be where you thought you wanted to go, and the road won't always be easy.


Okay, why Lord? If you are going to take us somewhere why can't you make the road smooth? WHYYYYY does it have to be so tough at times? Worth it, but tough.




Dreams never die. Well, I think the Dream Giver begs to differ. According to Him they change too.

Dreams first or God first? This is the question we must ask ourselves.



For years I wanted to be a massage therapist. Three different times I had applied for the local school here and was accepted. Each time I applied it cost me $75.00 for the non-refundable application fee, but I was so determined that I was going to live out my dream. The third and last time I applied I even went so far as to take a loan out from the bank. Doors were closed hard and quick and so since we had already borrowed the money instead of becoming a masseuse I got a basement full of new carpet. I finally realized that this dream was never going to happen and so I gave it up. That's when God opened a new door that would eventually bring me here to blogging and ministry wrapped in one.


One year for Christmas I wrote a silly poem for my Grandparents and the following year I wrote a more serious one for them that is still hanging in their living room 15 years later. Over the years God just kept opening doors with my writing and I developed a love for it that I would've never thought of on my own. So instead of massaging strangers, I get to meet women like you and grow closer to God! His dream, now my dream too and loving every step of this unpredictable journey!


Our heart must beat in tandem with His.

I really loved when Lysa reminds us that this walk with God will be a lot less about the places He eventually takes you and much more about the relationship He establishes with you along the way.

My time here in Kansas visiting Kelley isn't about where she takes me, it's about building this friendship that God has brought together.




Chapter 5: The Adventure Our Souls Were Made For


In this new place of sacrifice and surrender, God will take you outside your comfort zone, and you'll learn to depend on Him like never before.



Watching my 63 year old Dad and much younger Mom welcome little children into their hearts and home because God told them too is amazing and completely out of their comfort zone. The welcoming of the foster children isn't the uncomfortable part; if they had their way every unwanted child in Nebraska would be in their care. Especially the babies as that is Mom's specialty. The discomfort comes when God wants them to adopt. Living evidence that obedience to God is more important to them than comfort.



The zone they are most comfortable in is riding side by side on their own Harley's in their leathers riding down the highway of no little people allowed. Sometimes I find myself upset at the ministry God has called them into because the world has us convinced that they should be empty nesters traveling and indulging on things they couldn't afford when they were my age. Instead the Harley's are in storage collecting dust and they're adopting young kids.

Who but God knew that they'd be starting over at their age.



In this chapter I learned:

God is looking for the faithful.

God's vision is so much bigger than ours.

God wants us to take a chance with Him.

If we wait until we have our acts together then we will never live a life of faith.

This book is such a tool to growing close to God. Together let's continue to pursue this life of faith ladies!




Please share what God showed you in these chapters and sign up under Mr. Linky if you have more to share on your own blog. You all are such a blessing!!



My son Aaron is now in sunny Florida with Gene's side of the family. Two whole weeks without anyone for Alivia to run from ..blessing or mistake for this Mom? Time will only tell..



Alivia stayed up hours past her bedtime last night having fun with Kelley's youngest girls.

(Sophie on the left, Cece in the middle, Alivia on the right)


By the looks of Alivia on the 3 hour ride home I think she wore herself out.

~Many Blessings~









21 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you guys had FUN!!! :) :)

Loved these chapters, girl! May God lavish His best upon you today and every day!

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

Jamie said...

Too be found faithful by Him...it is the cry of my heart.

What a sweet treat for you to get to hang with Kelley for awhile. She seems so sweet with a genuine heart for God!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Right after my mother died 4 years ago I wrote a short story about her that was published - a fluke I promise. Two years ago on a women's retreat my committee and I set goals we felt God wanted me to accomplish. They insisted writing was one of the goals. I insisted it wasn't. I knew then and I know now that God doesn't want me to write devotions or fiction - I feel absolutely no pull in that direction. But I stumbled into blogging after a small stroke in April and feel like I've come home. I like the fact that I can subtly display my faith, making it a part of my every day posts and comments, and can, I hope, influence others who are intimidated by their perception of Christians. And I like the feeling that I'm doing what God wanted me to do all along. Blessings, marlene

Yolanda said...

In these two chapters, God showed me that LOVING GOD more than my dream was right where He wanted me!

My dream is still a dream/vision that He gave me, but it is about LOVING GOD MORE than the actual dream. That hit me hard, and since I read it on Sunday, I have had a kazillion more moments of peace and joy.

Love,
Yolanda

PS: Moving my eyes off of the dream back to the Dream Giver.

Kelley said...

We all LOVED having you visit and can't wait for you to come back and stay longer! You and your family are a blessing to me!

Love,
Kelley

Jill Beran said...

Yes, there are ample lessons to learn in these chapters. God does take us where we don't expect and sometimes even where I don't want to go, but thru time I'm learning His ways are higher than mine. I'm enjoying the journey thru this book with you, Jill

Amy L Brooke said...

I am so glad you had fun!!! It does look like Alivia enjoyed herself as well!

Paula V said...

Girl, I think you'll need to get that daughter of yours a neck brace, huh? Man, she had to have had a crick in her neck.

What a blessing for her and Kelley's girls and for you.
Friendships are such beauties from God.

Lysa's statement about god taking us to amazing places but not ones we wanted to go. That is so true and it can be amazing ONCE we get there, turn back and see His Hand. But I tell ya, it can be pure misery and torture especially when the road involves relationships and heartache. These last few days I'm really trying to leave that behind. I shared with Rebecca that I didn't know what God might want me to leave behind. The dream I have is a godly, righteous dream that aligns with His Word so I can't imagine Him wanting me to leave that dream of marriage reconciliation behind. So, I pondered on it and maybe He's wanting me to truly leave behind the past, the hurts, and the MAJOR regrets I have of how I handle things.

I've not been able to read ch. 5 I'm a bad girl, a very bad girl! Ha.

I love your stories. Though I'm sure you would've been a fine massage therapist, imagine the souls you are touching for Jesus. Your writing hit the soul directly and it impacts us so much more than your hands would make our bodies feel good. (I've never had a massage except for what my beloved would give me...aaaahhh nice.)

God knew what He was doing when He designed you to use your hands to write onto the souls of people instead of massaging the bodies.
Love ya,
Paula

HisPrincess said...

Alivia certainly does look worn out!

Thanks for your post, a blessing and thought provoking one.

Unknown said...

Kelley looks so natural holding Amiyah :) I am so glad y'all had a good time. Like a big girl play date!

As for the study, these were some great chapters (as usual). Some of it didn't come home to roost until just this afternoon. I'm really enjoying this study and getting to know God better through it.

Now that our torrential and very scary storms are over and I can safely turn back on the computer, I need to go blog about what I learned.

God's blessings to everyone

In Christ,
Mari

Rhonda said...

How exciting for you to bring your two families together. Isn't amazing how God can interweave our lives. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Can you come visit all of us and pass that sweet angel baby around for cuddles? I'm only a days flight away, with a comfy bed waiting. You'll be entertained with a great variety of things to do, while I plonk in a chair and shnoogle with Amiyah...

Susan said...

Oh, I just love the friendship the Lord has brought between you and Kelly.

You both are very dear to my heart.

What a dynamic duo you two make!!

Watch out kingdom of darkness...

This was great, and you've given me lots of meat to chew on.

Thanks for hosting this each week.

I pray God refreshes you as you refresh and encourage others...

Love you!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

How wonderful for you be able to grow with your blogging buddy, Kelley. I wish I had some close by. Anyway, I'm loving your thoughts and others in regards to this book. I really must get a copy.

May God keep his dreams alive in your heart in this season of living.

We are a blessed people.

peace~elaine

LynnSC said...

These chapters were great... as usual. I am so glad that I got in on this study. Thanks so much for hosting.

You guys look like you had a blast. God has blessed the friendship... I can tell. I love times of fellowship with friends. My small group in going away next weekend to see the Beth Simulcast in Boone. We are staying the whole weekend. I cannot wait.

Lynn

Amy said...

God definitely has me in an uncomfortable place right now, and I am learning to wait for Him, because with this bed rest, I have no choice.:) (Isn't God funny that way?)

Having to stay in bed and not be able to do basic things has me waaaaaaay outside of my comfort zone.

Shannon and I are both waiting on big promises from God, and I can definitely feel the winds shifting.......like we are being prepared for the dreams that He planted in our hearts.

On a lighter note, I am so glad that you got to meet your bloggy friend in real life. What a blessing!:)
One of mine is coming to visit this Sunday and I am so excited about it.
And after seeing the picture of Kelley holding your Amiyah.....I need a baby fix bad!:)

God Bless,
Amy:)

Yolanda said...

I know, I know...I've already posted, but I'm so excited I just HAD to come back.

I'm working in my NOG'S study, and came across what I felt totally related to God's dream vs our dreams.

"My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways...as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways" vv: 8-9 HCSB

Now, isn't God good???!!!

Carol said...

It looks like you had so much fun! I love the pictures!

amy & lisa said...

Thank you for your words on this study. So interesting!

Laurie Ann said...

So glad you had a great time at Kelley's. Isn't she a sweetheart? I haven't met her in person, but online she makes me feel like I have.

These were two great chapters. I only posted Chapter 4 and am going back to amend that post tonight to include Chapter 5. Life got in the way of posting it. ARGH.

I loved your post today and it really drove home to me the point Lysa was making about what we choose to leave behind when we walk in faith. God's plans for us are always greater than any vision we have for our own lives. This book is simply amazing to me. I'm growing in ways I never thought possible, even in the first five chapters.

God bless you for hosting this study, Leila.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I finally got to see the pics!