Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tired of doing it my way

UPDATE: PRAYER REQUESTS: 3/20/08-Thursday
Please pray for my granddaughter & daughter. Alyssa had another ultrasound done yesterday--baby girl's heartbeat is still irregular & so my daughter has to go see a Ped's Cardiologist Thurs. 3/27/08. First, her Dr. told her after the baby was born they'd call in the Cardiologist to make sure baby is okay, but then when he heard the heart beat versus just seeing the ultrasound pics he wanted her to go see Dr. Martin right away. Soooo, please pray for both mommy & baby. And don't forget wisdom for the doctor.
ALSO: our sweet sister in Christ, Kelley over at Aroma of Joy is in desperate need of our prayers. Please visit her.
Thank you and Bless you!
*****************************************
Last Tuesday I was woken up by my daughter who is 8 months pregnant standing above me at 5:15am yelling at me to "get up". No, she wasn't in labor. Come to find out, Monday night while driving in the car together, she wasn't really ignoring me. Instead she was texting AND hanging on my every spoken word as I voiced my plans for the next morning. To quote me, "Tomorrow morning I'm going to the gym at 5:30am."
Now, do you see any invite in there or request for her to be my human alarm clock?
Me neither.


Before the sun even thought about rising, she had turned into this drill sergeant barking orders at me to get up, get dressed or she was going to drive to the YMCA alone. In my car. Within in my mind, I was bold... "Whatever mama, go." Finally realizing she was not going to leave me alone, I got dressed and got in the car with her. I walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes, went back home, showered and started my day; and what a great day it was. All my food choices from that point on were healthy ones.

Friday night I exercised, Saturday afternoon I exercised and even Sunday morning before church I did the treadmill. I feel great, but my poor muscles are in a state of soreness and confusion as to why the heck they aren't lounging on my couch. They'll thank me once the fat is gone and they can be seen once again.

After my daughter's rude awakening, she had given me one more chance of joining her as she shouted down to the basement at me, Mo-om, are you coming?
"YES!" I shouted back.
My saying yes that morning to my hormomal teenager resulted in a day full of energy. Plus she was scary. Also, the athlete within me came out of the self-induced food coma I had put her in and has not stopped high-fiving me for our new lifestyle.

When I say yes to exercise, I look and feel better. When I say yes to healthy food over junk food, I look and feel better. Saying yes to what's good for me has benefits that are incredibly joyous for me. Smaller clothing, more energy, more confidence and a healthier body to name a few.



See, last Monday I called a friend of mine from high school. I asked Tami not only for her prayers for my desired weight loss , but also for her tips on how she had been so successful in her own weight loss journey. Her answer made something within my mind finally click and ignite a fire in me.
"Dedication. I knew that I didn't like who I was and that I needed to change. I drove 12 miles one way 3 times a week to a gym for a workout at 5am. I did this for 2 years because I knew it was good for me and I felt and looked so much better. Even when I didn't feel saying yes to going in the morning, I would make myself go because I knew the results would be so good for me."
She was right and dedication looks beautiful on her.


Tami kept saying yes to exercise, yes to eating healthier, yes to drinking water and it all has paid off for her. The thing is though, after shedding and keeping the extra weight off for over 2 years, she is still saying yes to her healthy habits. May not want to, but minimum 3 times a week she is on her treadmill in her basement no later than 5:10am and I tell you, her cute shape shows it in her favorite jeans!



At the very beginning of Tami's 2 year drive to the gym, I doubt much change showed on the outside, but she probably had more energy inside. Her changes began on the inside and eventually moved their way out to her appearance. She kept waking up early and driving those 12 miles and soon the woman that climbed into that car at 5am wasn't taking up so much space in the driver's seat as she was getting smaller with each yes she gave. Her persistence to keep going changed not only her look, but her life and once again she liked who she is. All because she was consistent in saying yes.



Reminds me so much of our walk with God. It is so tough, but so worth it. Saying yes to some of the things God asks of us may go against all human thinking, but when we say yes to Him, amazing things begin to happen in our lives and in His timing what is happening on the inside eventually shows on the outside.

I want to be woman who chooses to consistently say "YES" God to whatever He asks me to do. He's not always going to ask us to do something we enjoy or like, but when we have an obedient heart He rewards those who diligently seek Him. I personally think He enjoys seeing us getting moved out of our comfort zone. For when we aren't comfortable we rely more on Him and our independence gets shoved to the side.



Like my dear friend Tami, just because she lost all the excess weight, she didn't stop saying yes. It's a daily struggle with her. She would rather sleep in and let the sunshine or her kids' voices wake her up, but she knows if she doesn't do what is required of her, the weight might come back and old habits may resurface. Daily choice to say yes.



Join me in saying Yes to God and let's see what happens. Beginning next Tuesday, March 25th I will be hosting the Blog Bible study "YES to GOD Tuesdays".
There will soon be a button you can add to your blog, so check back.



We are hoping to get a lot of woman to say Yes with us so please spread the word. We will be reading the book and Bible study,
"What Happens When Women Say Yes to God" by Lysa TerKeurst.
and will be able to share what God is doing in our lives. You'll also be able to link your blog so others can read your own thoughts on the chapter and Bible study. At the end of each chapter is a study. Short and simple, but incredible. If you don't have the book you can purchase it here on my blog or visit Lysa and buy it there. Or check with your local bookstore...just buy the book and do this thing with us!

*Read chapter 1 and do the Bible study by next Tuesday, March 25th & get ready to share what you learn! Every Tuesday from March 25-Tuesday May 19th will be
YES to GOD Tuesday's right here!


YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE A BLOG TO JOIN US!!

Let's say Yes and watch God change us from the inside out!
Sign up below if you're planning on joining me in this adventure! If you don't have a blog, just put your name. If you do have one, make sure to put your blog address in the URL line.
Any blogs listed below visit them and I promise that you'll feel blessed!


~Many Blessings~
Lelia

24 comments:

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

You go girl! I am so discouraged with my weight. We have been going to the gym...he continues to lose weight-I swear I am gaining!!! My middle section is bigger...AUGHHH! But if I can be persistent in my time with God each morning and seeing where it has got me, then I can be perservere here too. See you at the Bible study!!
In His Graces~Pamela

Amy L Brooke said...

Smiles! Can't wait for the study!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Very inspiring. I will buy my book this week. I'm very excited. And with two small kids, this will be a Bible study that I won't be late to! (I can stop by anytime next Tuesday, right?

Unknown said...

OOOOOHHHHH....I cannot wait for this study! Too cool!

My commitment is three-fold: participating in the Bible study, being honest as we journey through the Bible study, AND praying for all participants.

This is going to be great! It is truly an answer to prayer!!! And I love that I can come to the Bible study in my pajamas! hehehehe Oh, I can't wait! Did I already say that? :)

Blessings and Prayers everyone!

Rebecca

Kelley said...

OKs Lelia,
I kept thinking if I find the book at the half price bookstore for $7.00 or less I will join in. I checked a couple of different stores and of course it was never there. However, I received a sale flyer in the mail last week for Family Christian Stores. Guess what--the book was on sale for $4.99. So I bought a copy and I am going to try and participate in the study. Actually, I am looking forward to it!

BTW~~has anything unusual or strange happened to you concerning the conference? Just wondering!

Have a great day~~Kelley

Kelley said...

Hey Girl,
I messed up Mr. Linky. I didn't mean to put my last name on there, not that it matters but the perfectionist in me wants it to say Kelley@Aroma of Joy. Can you help me? Sorry about that!

Kelley

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

OHHHHH, I so admire you...getting up at 5:00 AM to go work out!!

Yes, I am one of those that should, but just like sleeping in too much! I'm a member of a small "C*rves" group, pay my monthly dues yet I've only been there twice in one year!!
And then I fuss if my clothes are fitting anymore and I "feel" fat...and the scales tell me I am!!

Yolanda said...

I'm ready, I even brought it with me on vacation!

Love,
Yolanda

Yolanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

I'm off to the Family Christian to buy the book! Can't wait to start.

Jenny

Kimberly said...

Going to move the laundry off of my treadmill right now and do what I know He has been wanting me to do for a while now.
Sigh. Thanks for the motivation.
:)

Laura said...

Oh, my word. 5a.m.?! To exercise???!!! I can do it for the Lord, but not for exercise!
I would love to join you for your Bible study, this is a book I have wanted to read for a while! But I'll have to try next time, as I have too many unfinished books on my nightstand currently! I will drop by and read everyone's comments, though. Maybe it will motivate me!

Amy L Brooke said...

I got a bloggy face lift! Come see! :-)

My2Blessings said...

Thanks for hosting this study! It will be wonderful to see how God works through us when we are obedient to Him.

Blessings!

Debbie

javamamma said...

Saw your comment about Lincoln, NE and had to come over. I live about 30 minutes from there. I don't think Nebraska has a huge percentage of bloggers but hello from one to another!

Yolanda said...

Lelia,

I'm praying, and God is ALL over this!

Love to you!

Unknown said...

Prayers are definitely going up right now!

In times like these, Psalm 91 is a great comfort. Make the declaration your own by changing the words, i.e., "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High" to "I dwell in the shelter of the Most High." It really brings about a sense of peace and security!

Much love,
Rebecca

Jenny said...

Leila,
I'm praying for you and your family!

Jenny

Heather said...

Praying for you all!

Kimberly said...

I am praying, sweet Lelia!

Joyful said...

Hi Leila,
Didn't see this list to register when I contacted you before. Looking forward to Tuesday!!!
(I'm "Ponderings")
Blessings,
Joy

Liz said...

I don't know how I am just now seeing this, but I will get the book tomorrow and start reading. I will be off to a late start but look forward to what God will do through such a neat way of studying His word together. Thanks for the organization! See you tomorrow....after my trip to the bookstore!

Gran Jan said...

Leila: Just heard about the book study from my friend Yolanda at Higher Grounds. What a blessing and what an awesome way to study "together!" :D

Love & Prayers,
Georgia Jan

Sherlyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.