Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Dance of a lifetime

This week with my family...such an interesting group of people God has forever linked me to.


Our oldest daughter Alyssa was talking with me as I pulled up my blog on the computer. She started laughing as she said..."This is like My Space for old people."
Then tonight after attending my weight loss group when I proudly announced that I lost 5 1/2 pounds this week, my son Aaron gently squeezed my muffin top and smiled as he said..."Getting smaller Mom. Good job!"



Wednesday night while on the hospital tour to see where Alyssa is going to have her baby, Miss Alivia wasn't bothered at all about the talk of the delivery and what to expect~~~blood on the baby, etc. What caused her to be so freaked out was the piano in the lobby that was playing all by itself. She was so sure one of the creepy characters from Scooby-Doo was lurking around somewhere.


But the most entertaining of all, was the other night when my dear husband Gene was watching television and Brooke Shields appeared on the screen. Her image suddenly launched hubby into an "I'm so cool" strut down memory lane. I just laughed and said, "You know I have to blog on this." So here goes...


Years ago he had this college teammate that had gone pro and played for the NY Jets. They were kind of wild back then and his friend was a "fly by the seat of my pants with pockets full of cash" type of guy. So, one day his friend picked him up and they drove to the Lincoln airport then flew to KC. You can drive there for a small fraction of the price, but being the big spenders they were, they flew what would've been a 3 hour drive in just 30 minutes.


This was the beginning of what I now call their "Trip around the world". Seemed as if Gene was calling me from a different city every night. What was supposed to be one night out together ended up being 30 long days out of state.


Yes, there was steam coming out of my ears like in the cartoons.
No, we weren't married at the time.
Yes, he almost lost me.
No, he really didn't.
Yes, he flew home when I stopped taking his calls.



Anyway, the reason the famous Calvin Klein poster child Brooke Shields stirred up some memories within my husband is because
One night in the heart of New York City...


Gene and his friend went to a club. Gene was looking good in his mustard color turtleneck and black striped sweater as he was bopping his head to the beat of the music. He was so cool that he could've put a fire out with just his spit alone. Suddenly he saw something that caused his smoothness to come to a halt.


There she was. No not me. SHE.


THE famous Brooke Shields dancing the night away right in front of him. She was moving to the beat of the music in her fitted Calvin Klein jeans with another famous face. Known for his song "Rico Suave" from the 90's, Brooke was dancing with the popular rapper, Gerardo Mejia. Who was also known for his washboard stomach and the best lip syncing voice in the entertainment world. None of that could stop my man from making his move though. Gene verbalized that he would love to dance with Brooke and so his NFL friend with connections went and talked to her. Then, oh I just have to quote Gene here...as he motions with his hands as if demonstrating how the Red Sea parted, he said,
"Rico Suave stepped back and I stepped in and jammed with my girl Brooke."

Ladies, that is a fresh quote from last night.
I had no idea he talked like that. At 43. Maybe Brooke does, but I didn't.
It just amazes me that Brooke left this to dance with my guy.



15 years later, you would think Gene's 5 minutes of dancing with a star was recent the way he describes it. I tried to tell him that it was just a courtesy dance, but he won't believe me. He claims Brooke was taken with this dark and handsome athlete from Nebraska and that their dance was so memorable she 'd recognize him if she saw him today. Of course he says that with a mixture of laughter and confidence, but really Ladies, Rico has nothing on my man!
Well, except the flowing hair and rock hard abs.

So, there you go. I, not she is married to THE man that Brooke kicked Mr. Rico Suave to the curb for. Not even our first dance together at our wedding can top that night in the NYC club for Gene. Brooke will unkowingly own a piece of his heart as long as Calvin Klein makes jeans.

Who knew I was married to such a chic magnet? I'm going to have to start calling him
Geno Suave.


Honey, I'm afraid these are the only girls that will dance with you today and honestly, they're much cuter than any supermodel...

I love my family.

Have a Great Weekend!


~Many Blessings~

Lelia

17 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful family! What a funny story about your husband. Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

You are too funny!!!! I just LOVE this story! :)

Prayers and Blessings!

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I laughed my literal "socks off"! I'm so glad that no family member of mine was home just now as I was reading your blog. They would have wondered what on earth is so incredibly funny! All I could do was visualize the actual meeting between Brooke and Geno Suave and the parting of the crowd as he strutted towards her! I was "busting a gut"! Thanks for the laughs! I loved it! You and your family are an absolute "hoot"! Jacki

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

What a hoot! :)
LOVE seeing the pics of your fam! Gorgeous, all of them.

Liz said...

That is one of the funniest stories I have ever read! I loved it...and you let Gene keep on believing that Brooke is still thinking about him right now...you know it is pumpin' his ego all these years later! I am still laughing. And I love the photos of your family - all beautiful! And 5 & 1/2 pounds! YOU GO GIRL!

Yolanda said...

Cracked me up for you to have put this "Rico Suave"'s youtube dance on here. FUNNY! What a great way to start a Saturday morning!

Love ya,
Yolanda

valerie said...

Lelia,
Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. I know we'll have a great time in NYC and I'll try to stay away from the clubs!:)
Your daughter's comment cracked me up about our blogging being the my space for old people! That is too funny.
You have a wonderful family. I love pictures and am so glad you posted them for us.
I'll talk to you when I get back.
Watch the Today Show if you get a chance and see if you see us. We're gonna try to go there a couple of mornings. Probably Mon. for sure.
Love ya girl and thanks again for being such an encourager to me.
Tell Gene I loved his story and tell him I actually sat and carried on a conversation with Garth Brooks. :)
Val

sumi said...

What a lovely (and hysterical) story.

Thanks for visitng my blog and leaving your sweet comments about Jenna.

~Sumi

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Couldn't help but laugh...great story and a beautiful family, too!

Kelley said...

That is priceless! Men just crack me up when they take that stroll down memory lane! They have such tunnel vision when it comes to the past (and the present and future come to think of it). I loved seeing the pics of your family, it makes me feel like I know you better. They are beautiful kids and yes, I can't wait to see pictures of that new baby!

Have a super weekend and thanks for all the sweet comments on my blog~~~you are a great friend!

Love, Kelley

Anonymous said...

so funny :o) you handle that well...

and...i didn't know I was old :o(...well, I guess I kinda knew but was trying to ignore it :o)

Kimberly said...

hee hee
Too funny! :)
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Love,
K :)

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Lelia-your family is beautiful!! But Brook Shileds? Come on Gene-you can be sure to tell him I think he has faired so much better with you!! You got love our men and their egos!! I finished another great book this weekend by Pam Farrel-"Women of Influence". I recommend you add it to your list of books to read in the future. Anxiously waiting your Bible study too! I pulled that book back out to read again. I just can't get enough of studying Christ! Have a blessed week!
In His Graces~Pamela

Susan said...

Hey Lelia,

Happy Monday...

Enjoyed the pictures of your children!

Now, I've got faces with names.

Stop on by, I have something for you.

Blessings♥

Renee Swope said...

What a beautiful family!! I am so glad you shared so many photos so we can see all the faces of the ones you love.

Blessings,
Renee

Sita said...

Girl, you just gotta keep it coming..you know that your life is just for our benefit, don't ya? Thank you for the humour, the tears, the joy, the pain, the lessons...like I said before..just like a Psalmist I know..(-;
Love, Sita
(btw-your friend popped by to see the Cross cartoons. If you want to the entire 12 clips, I'll send it to you by email and you can forward it..my addy is trinisita@hotmail.com)

MaryLu said...

Oh my!! All I can say is Wow!
"Ge-no Suave" That's gonna be going through my head all day now, thanks.
BTW, I have one of those mysterious self-playing things, she'd be so scared at my house!