Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

YES to GOD study: Ch. 2: Embrace Doubt

Sorry I'm late. I was out of town having a God blessed visit with Kelley and her family.


For the summer study we are reading Liz Curtis Higgs' book


CHAPTER 2: EMBRACE DOUBT
Anything in blue is a quote from the book.


Throughout the pages of each chapter, Liz has included comments sent to her from the women who read her books followed by Liz's responses in orange.

Comments such as:


"This is a very dark time for me.
I have been feeling
abandoned of late."
For all of those dark times, here's a word of hope: God meets us
where we are. Even if we aren't looking in his direction, he
is always looking in ours.

****

"I'm not much into God.
The whole thing
seems a little hard to believe."
An honest statement.
The notion of God's coming to earth as an infant wrapped
in swaddling clothes, then willingly dying in his early thirties to
atone for the sins of an ungrateful world---well, it is far-fetched.
Very far.
Beyond the limits of human imagination.
Only an infinite God could design such an effective long-
range plan.
****

"Looking back I can now see
God's wonderful hands
guiding me back to him."
Indeed, he gives us second chances, third, fourth, fifth
chances---oh, far to many too count.
You see, it's God's faithfulness---not ours---that makes the
difference. He can handle our suspicions and fears, our
mis-givings and apprehensions. He is not dissuaded by our cynicism,
our incredulity. He understands doubt.
****

"I've had so many bad things
happen in my life
that I've started to question God."
A legitimate response. Question away, sis. Confess your
uncertainty.
Then relax in knowing that it's not your belief in God's
existence that defines him. God simply is. His is love incarnate,
and his righteousness endures forever.
Our doubt does not diminish God one iota.
When we come to the end of ourselves, God is just getting started. (I loved that!)
****

"I was well aware that Jesus was out there
waiting for me
and that he could turn it all around for me,
but I just didn't care.
Finally I came crawling back to Christ,
begging him to forgive me
and fill that place again."
We may not know where "that place" inside us is or what
it's called, but we know very well when it's empty. And who
alone can fill it.




Have you ever said or thought any of those things before?

Liz begins this chapter with the fact that trust is an issue for many.


We conquer those fears as we mature, but at the deepest level we never forget them. Old fears continue to color out emotional responses and produce feelings of doubt and uncertainty.


I love how Liz encouraged us to ask God questions and reassured us that our doubts, whether it's about Him or our purpose does not knock Him off of His throne.

Life can sometimes get the best of us.
And yet, we have a God that sits in heaven watching over us and is absolutely crazy about us.
Even on our bad heart days.

Let me leave you with what Liz left us with in this chapter...

This is a hands-on kind of Savior. He sees the lack of trust
in our eyes, hears the dubious note in our voices, and feels the
tremor in our fingers as we tentatively grasp the hem of his
garment.
In the face of our doubt, the Lord offers a sure word of encouragement.

Don't be afraid;
just believe.
Mark 5:36



God is good everyday and everyday God is good.

Hope you are having a blessed summer.

If you have something on your own blog to share of this chapter please sign up under Mr. Linky below. Or if you just have something to share, leave it in the comments below.
Love to hear your thoughts.

Has God freed you from something and you want to share about it by linking your favorite post or a new post you want to write?
Stop by on Saturday, 4th of July for
Red, White and No More Blues!

~Many Blessings~
Next Tuesday...chapter 3: Embrace Faith

8 comments:

Stacy said...

So glad you were able to "get away" for awhile and enjoy some time with friends. This book is an amazing read. Lots of tender moments and encouragement. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

With Appreciation,
Stacy

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Lelia! This book sounds really good. I am so glad that you and Kelley had a chance to get together! It's so much fun!

I'm celebrating my 100th post--come on over--I've got a give-away!

Y'all have a Happy 4th!
Hugs!
Susan

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Welcome back! I am so sad I was not able to meet up with you two. My loss. I miss you both!

In His Graces~Pamela

Julie Gillies said...

Glad you had some fun with a blogging friend, Lelia. I'm looking forward to meeting many blog friends at She Speaks. *big smile*

Have a fantastic 4th of July weekend!

Laura said...

Sounds like such a good study, Lelia. I'm really enjoying the quotes. Liz sounds like my kind of lady!

Miss you, my friend. Praying for you!

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula said...

Hi Lelia! What a great chapter. I have thoughts to post about the chapter but it hasn't happened yet. Have had a topsy-turvy week, and having a not so good afternoon, hence the second attempt at commenting!

Glad you had a wonderful time away. Have some goodies here for your girlies too and will get them off to you shortly. Love and hugs, P xo

Anonymous said...

Lelia~~

I am reading the book and following your posts....I even started my first post and didn't get very far...so many interruptions.

I love Liz's statement:

"When we come to the end of ourselves, God is just getting started"

This "control-crazy" woman needs to truly let-it-go and give-it-all to HIM every minute of the day so HE can even begin to mold me into who he wants me to be.

I put that quote above my dest next to this one written by Mother Theresa:

"You will never know that Jesus Christ is all that you need until...Jesus Christ is all that you have."

Amen my sister??? Amen!

love ya,
Kim